Yet Another Tent Question

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2005
      I have a canvass wall tent. Its design really dates to the 19th
      century, but it is similar to tents used in period. Would it be
      acceptable as a pavillion? Would it stand out like a sore thumb? Or
      would I be religated to the "nylon ghetto"?

      --Dego
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2005
        On Thursday 26 May 2005 07:12, Bruce wrote:
        > I have a canvass wall tent.   Its design really dates to the 19th
        > century, but it is similar to tents used in period.  Would it be
        > acceptable as a pavillion?  Would it stand out like a sore thumb?  Or
        > would I be religated to the "nylon ghetto"?

        First, let me state that I've been in the SCA for 15 years and have never
        been to an event where there was a "nylon ghetto." We recognize that many
        people can't afford, or can't store, or can't transport, or can't assemble,
        a bulky, heavy period tent. At large events such as Pennsic, modern tents
        are erected right alongside period pavilions.

        There are individual household encampments where all the members choose to
        camp in period shelters, perhaps even all of the same type, but that is
        not required by the SCA at most events. It's possible that somewhere there
        is an annual event with such a requirement, but I've not heard of it.

        A lot of it has to do with your attitude toward your tent. If you go
        around acting like you think it's medieval, then people are apt to disagree
        (hopefully, with courtesy). On the other hand, if you simply acknowledge
        that it's out of period, you'll still be respected for using a non-modern
        tent. At an event where nylon is "perfectly okay, though not ideal", and
        medieval canvas is "dah bomb!", you will simply fall somewhere in the
        middle, and probably no one will even remark on your choice of shelter.

        Well...except that you might run across other 19th century reenactors who
        will compliment you on it! There's a fair amount of crossover between the
        SCA and other period reenactors. :-)

        That being said... Wall tents of various sorts have been dated back to
        Roman times. If what you have is a Civil War era tent, it will not look
        medieval to the eye of most SCAdians, but that doesn't make it unwelcome.
        People camp at Pennsic and other events in everything from handmade, fully-
        period, elaborately-decorated pavilions, to military surplus canvas, to
        family "cabin tents", to modern ultralight backpacker tents. There are
        yurts, gers, wall tents, Habitrail tents, vinyl-walled "garage tents",
        Viking A-frames, and even a few Native American tipis to be found at a
        large event.

        I'm not sure where you are from, but here in the Middle Kingdom you would
        be quite welcome with your canvas tent at any of our events. My advice is,
        go for it. :-) You can set it up next to our medieval pavilion any day.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2005
          In a message dated 5/26/2005 8:46:40 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          diego_el_gallina_picoteado@... writes:

          I have a canvass wall tent. Its design really dates to the 19th
          century, but it is similar to tents used in period. Would it be
          acceptable as a pavillion? Would it stand out like a sore thumb? Or
          would I be religated to the "nylon ghetto"?

          Lots of people use canvas wall tents - it should be fine. And as a side
          note, depending on where you are, there may or may not be any attempt to
          separate period and non-period tents. It's extremely rare, for example, for
          anything like that to even be considered in the Southern Region of the East Kingdom.

          Lancaster, PA