Dress Alteration question

  • lady_lane01
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2005
      Greetings all,

      I am a newby to garb making and am in need of some guidance if anyone
      has any help. I am making a dress that calls for a zipper and
      obviously I don't want that, what are my options to go in place of
      this?

      Morwyn Siwan
    • Kathleen
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24, 2005
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "lady_lane01" <lady_lane01@y...>
        wrote:
        > Greetings all,
        >
        > I am a newby to garb making and am in need of some guidance if
        anyone
        > has any help. I am making a dress that calls for a zipper and
        > obviously I don't want that, what are my options to go in place of
        > this?
        >
        > Morwyn Siwan

        lacing is good. You could make holes on either side, or attach tiny
        metal rings and lace through those. Not knowing anything about
        zippers, I'm not sure if you would need to make any alterations to the
        opening to make sure the sides meet, but someone else will know.
      • Tricia
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2005
          I am also new to the SCA and looking at many patterns for Garb.
          I have found that most of them add a placket where the zipper would
          be add boning on both sides of the placket and run grommets for
          lacing or closely spaced buttons the length the zipper would be.

          The boning will help prevent pulling and gaping that can happen when
          you have buttons or lacing where fabric will be under pressure from
          normal movement bending etc...

          It seemed like an extra step to me but I am so glad I did it, my
          friend, whom I sew with, chose to skip the boning and there is a
          huge difference in the way the dress looks when we both wear them.
          we made the same dress and are about the same size so I attribute
          the better look to the boning.