Re: [SCA Newcomers] creating a persona...help please

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2005
      On Monday 16 May 2005 12:12, Lady Wolfsong wrote:
      > I was thinking of not having the children with me due to the same reasons
      > that I really don't have them (depression, panic attacks...lost custody) but
      > how would that work back then? People didn't divorce, right? So would their
      > father have left me and taken the children?

      Perhaps your children are older and have been fostered out as apprentices to
      learn trades. Or perhaps they are studying abroad. Or perhaps one of your
      children has a health condition (such as polio) and is living with relatives
      in another locale because of the climate. Or perhaps your oldest son is
      serving in the military, or is a page to a noble household, etc.

      Or perhaps your children are safe at home but *you* are traveling abroad for
      some reason.

      Lots of reasons exist why your children might be elsewhere than at your side,
      in the Middle Ages, and the reasons need not be the same for each child. :-)

      Here's an example from my own persona:

      During my youth, I stayed at home with my mother in Constantinople while my
      father, an itinerant merchant caravan-master, traveled west each year plying
      his trade. When I was older, my brother and I journeyed with him for a few
      years, but I was dismally unskilled at bookkeeping and was more interested
      in the craft of the caravan tinker than in what I was supposed to be learning
      about business. My father was disappointed in me (the more so because my
      younger brother excelled at business). Eventually, he agreed to send me to
      study al-Gebra and astronomy in the Arab lands, if I would agree to forego
      my inheritance of his business interests in favor of my younger brother. Being
      young and cocksure of myself, I agreed to this, and set off.

      The result of all this is that in my childhood I saw only my mother most of the
      time, in my youth I saw only my father most of the time, and from my early teens
      onward I saw neither. My parents both died during the years I was abroad
      studying (remember that in the Middle Ages, life expectancy was much shorter
      than today, and this sort of thing would have been quite common).

      I hope this helps. The main thing to remember is that the same life events
      that separate families today -- and many more -- also existed in the Middle
      Ages. Technology and social customs have changed, but people are still
      people.

      Kind regards,

      keys fesswise reversed sable.