Re: [SCA Newcomers] question about spammed list (long)

  • christelle
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13, 2005
      I must have missed a post somewhere. What's a g-mail account?

      Christelle

      Message 2 of 6 , May 13, 2005
        christelle wrote:

        > I must have missed a post somewhere. What's a g-mail account?
        >
        > Christelle

        This was in the giant post that Justin sent (which was very
        informative). Gmail is email from Google, but it's unique in that it
        saves messages as threads. For instance, if you and I were having a
        discussion and I was using my gmail account for it, no matter when you
        replied, it'd go to the right conversation and display like a
        message-board conversation.

        You can also set gmail up to read in Thunderbird (Mozilla's browser... I
        use that and Firefox... my signature is attached with links to
        information about them both) so you don't have to worry about dealing
        with webmail. Gmail is also very good about filtering spam, and not
        displaying images which, if I understand what Justin said correctly,
        cause an "invisible" instance of your web browser to open, thereby
        possibly exposing you to security threats.

        I've been very happy with Gmail, not just because of the unusual format
        of the messages, but also because they keep increasing the storage space
        you have available. I've gotten into the habit of cleaning out my email
        box, so I will never use the 1 gig plus storage space they've given me,
        but it's nice to have. :)

        Fiora