Re: [SCA Newcomers] New SCAdian from Northern Michigan

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2005
      Meghan,
      I would definately agree that it can be very difficult
      to get a new group started. However, there are no
      rules against finding people who live near you who
      might be interested in getting together to do SCA
      stuff. We have two meetings a month in my shire, but
      little groups get together here and there to work on
      projects and such all the time. You should contact one
      or all the groups in your area. First of all, there
      are probably people playing in the groups who live
      near you and will either carpool to meetings or hang
      out and do stuff separate of meetings. Secondly, most
      groups don't require you to attend meetings to be
      members. In my shire, I take meeting notes and email
      them out to everyone on our email list. We have many
      members away for college or what not who still want to
      be part of the group. If they have ideas for the
      group, they can send them to the whole group or to the
      seneschal to be brought up at a meeting. If we didn't
      work this way, we'd have about 10 people in our
      group...lol.
      As to whether you should be in Northshield or Middle
      Kingdom, I'm not really sure where they draw the line,
      but you can play with any group that you find and
      like. The whole system of dividing based on residence
      is just to make things easier. You don't HAVE to play
      where you live. So go to some events, send out some
      emails, make friends, and sooner or later you will
      find a group you like and want to play with.
      As far as names go, you have to find references of
      that name being used in period. Then you have to find
      a last name that would be from the same time and
      place. This is another reason why you should contact
      the groups in your area. They all should have a herald
      (or Pursuviant) who can help you in selecting an SCA
      name and getting it registered if you want.
      Isabel
      Falcon's Quarry
      Midrealm

      Yahoo! Mail