Re: [SCA Newcomers] Bringing children to events

  • Scott Reardon
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2005
      Greetings,

      According to SCA law (meaning above any single Kingdom), you need two things to bring a minor who is not yours to an event. One is a medical authorization for the minor, the second is the SCA minor wavier form. You can find both of these at the following url...

      http://www.sca.org/docs/waivers.html

      Both should be self explanatory, but if not just ask.

      Tirloch

      susansaladini <susan@...> wrote:

      I was wondering what the policy is on bringing teens (other than your
      own) to events. My daughter would like to bring a friend with us to
      Crown (East) this weekend. My daughter's friend is a month or two
      short of being 18. I know I have to sign a site waver for my own kids,
      but what about friends?

      Thanks so much for your help,
      Sof'ia

    • Alison Choyce
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2005
        Greetings,

        Brangwayna and Tirloch are both correct. Here is a link to my shire's page which contains (at the bottom) links to both forms needed for children other than your own. http://www.hartshorn-dale.org/resources.php The two you want are the "children's waiver," and the "medical authorization for minors." Most events allow you to bring an extra teen, but there are exceptions, Pennsic being the most notable. If you are not sure about whether it is OK to bring other kids, just email the event autocrat, and ask. Different Kingdoms do have different policies, so again ask the autocrat as well for out of kingdom events.

        As to getting a form notarized, Hospitals will prefer it to be notarized, if the child has to go to the emergency room. They will treat irregardless of consent in the event of something life threatening, but something less emergent (like stitches) and they may require a notarized consent to treat. I've been in that position as a nurse on various school and scout camping trips. They will take verbal consent from the parents if they can reach parents by phone. Also, the medical authorization form does NOT include any place for basic medical infomation like allergies, which I think are good to know if you are responsible for someone else's kid.

        Crown for the East was last weekend, did your email get hung-up before posting to the list?

        In service,
        Alison Wodehalle
        Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East Kingdom

      • Susan Saladini
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2005
          >Crown for the East was last weekend, did your email get hung-up before
          >posting to the list?

          Thanks to everyone for you answers. I'm new to the group so my email is
          still monitored, therefore it took a while to get posted. I ended up going
          alone. I could not get my daughter to go without a friend along. Being
          that we are new it is hard for a teen to meet up and fit in as fast as they
          would want to.

          Sof'ia

          susan@...
          www.susan-rae.com