Re: [SCA Newcomers] Bringing children to events

  • Jeremy Slick
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2005
      Greetings So'fia!

      Most Kingdoms require that any child under 18 NOT your
      own have a signed AND notorized waiver when they
      arrive on site. No notorized waiver, no entrance to
      site. This is mostly due to most medical facilities
      requiring a notorized waiver to treat someone else's
      child if you are not the legal guardian.

      Giudo di Niccolo

      --- susansaladini <susan@...> wrote:

      > I was wondering what the policy is on bringing teens
      > (other than your
      > own) to events. My daughter would like to bring a
      > friend with us to
      > Crown (East) this weekend. My daughter's friend is
      > a month or two
      > short of being 18. I know I have to sign a site
      > waver for my own kids,
      > but what about friends?
      >
      > Thanks so much for your help,
      > Sof'ia

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Bulgarelli Maria
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2005
        You need to use the Event Waiver for a child other
        than yours. I think it's called Minor's Permission
        form and Event waiver.

        Your friendly Hospitaler from the South,
        Lady Elizabetta de Medici
        Maria Buchanan
        Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
        Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
        --- susansaladini <susan@...> wrote:
        ---------------------------------

        I was wondering what the policy is on bringing teens
        (other than your
        own) to events. My daughter would like to bring a
        friend with us to
        Crown (East) this weekend. My daughter's friend is a
        month or two
        short of being 18. I know I have to sign a site waver
        for my own kids,
        but what about friends?

        Thanks so much for your help,
        Sof'ia

        Terms of Service.
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2005
          In a message dated 5/5/2005 2:56:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          susan@... writes:

          <<I was wondering what the policy is on bringing teens (other than your
          own) to events. My daughter would like to bring a friend with us to
          Crown (East) this weekend. My daughter's friend is a month or two
          short of being 18. I know I have to sign a site waver for my own kids,
          but what about friends?>>

          Ummm - East Kingdom Crown was LAST weekend...However, in general check with
          the autocrat. Some events are fine with it as long as you have the child's
          parent sign a minor waiver and you bring it along; other events do not allow
          you to bring unrelated children under 18 at all.

          Lancaster, PA

        • Scott Reardon
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2005
            Greetings,

            According to SCA law (meaning above any single Kingdom), you need two things to bring a minor who is not yours to an event. One is a medical authorization for the minor, the second is the SCA minor wavier form. You can find both of these at the following url...

            http://www.sca.org/docs/waivers.html

            Both should be self explanatory, but if not just ask.

            Tirloch

            susansaladini <susan@...> wrote:

            I was wondering what the policy is on bringing teens (other than your
            own) to events. My daughter would like to bring a friend with us to
            Crown (East) this weekend. My daughter's friend is a month or two
            short of being 18. I know I have to sign a site waver for my own kids,
            but what about friends?

            Thanks so much for your help,
            Sof'ia

          • Alison Choyce
            Message 5 of 6 , May 5, 2005
              Greetings,

              Brangwayna and Tirloch are both correct. Here is a link to my shire's page which contains (at the bottom) links to both forms needed for children other than your own. http://www.hartshorn-dale.org/resources.php The two you want are the "children's waiver," and the "medical authorization for minors." Most events allow you to bring an extra teen, but there are exceptions, Pennsic being the most notable. If you are not sure about whether it is OK to bring other kids, just email the event autocrat, and ask. Different Kingdoms do have different policies, so again ask the autocrat as well for out of kingdom events.

              As to getting a form notarized, Hospitals will prefer it to be notarized, if the child has to go to the emergency room. They will treat irregardless of consent in the event of something life threatening, but something less emergent (like stitches) and they may require a notarized consent to treat. I've been in that position as a nurse on various school and scout camping trips. They will take verbal consent from the parents if they can reach parents by phone. Also, the medical authorization form does NOT include any place for basic medical infomation like allergies, which I think are good to know if you are responsible for someone else's kid.

              Crown for the East was last weekend, did your email get hung-up before posting to the list?

              In service,
              Alison Wodehalle
              Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East Kingdom

            • Susan Saladini
              Message 6 of 6 , May 6, 2005
                >Crown for the East was last weekend, did your email get hung-up before
                >posting to the list?

                Thanks to everyone for you answers. I'm new to the group so my email is
                still monitored, therefore it took a while to get posted. I ended up going
                alone. I could not get my daughter to go without a friend along. Being
                that we are new it is hard for a teen to meet up and fit in as fast as they
                would want to.

                Sof'ia

                susan@...
                www.susan-rae.com