New SCAdian from Northern Michigan

  • evilbob8
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2005
      A couple years ago, the SCA was suggested to me for something to
      entertain my love for medieval history. However, due to college and
      other priorities, I never got around to joining.

      About two weeks ago, I decided to start researching the SCA and I
      even got around to joining. I love everything I've heard. It seems
      like a great hobby. However, I've run into some problems along the
      way:

      First, I was unable to find my kingdom. Just so you know, I live in
      the Eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The SCA web site said that I
      belonged to Northshield; however, after speaking to Eliane the
      Chatelaine, I found out that they don't really cover the Eastern side
      of the U.P., as there are no groups here. So, I checked with the
      Middle Kingdom and they only cover the lower peninsula of Michigan.
      However, I did get that cleared up (mostly), because I was assigned
      to Northshield when I joined.

      Second, I went searching for a group to join and learn from, but the
      closest ones are four+ hours away (Marquette/Houghton/Ann Arbor). I
      heard that there's one in Petoskey, MI (Middle Kingdom), but the name
      I was given shows up online as Traverse City and has no web link.
      Even Canada is a bit of a drive for weekly meetings that only last a
      couple hours. Of course, I'm willing to drive for weekend or day
      events. I would like to eventually start some sort of group here to
      have people to learn with and car pool to events with. I sent an
      email to the Northshield Chatelaine about it, because she said she
      could give me info on it or hook me up with the right person to talk
      to, but I think she's been pretty busy as she hasn't replied. So,
      does anyone have advice on starting a new group? Can I advertise for
      interested people in the newspaper? I wouldn't use any art, but I
      would use the SCA name. Do you know any of the other rules for
      starting a group or a good web site?

      Third, I automatically knew I wanted an Irish persona. It's my
      heritage (typical argument) and I love the Irish Gaelic language. I
      wanted the name Brighid due to the Goddess Brighid or Brig being the
      Goddess of blacksmithing (I was once an apprentice) and her rumored
      link to the Tuatha de Danaan(a group of people I'm very interested
      in). However, now I'm questioning it as there seem to be many women
      with this name. Is it a common name?

      I think I'll stop there as I've already written so much. Any words of
      wisdom would be great!
      Thanks,
      Meghan
    • Marco and Jitka Sainte
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2005
        evilbob8 wrote:

        > Third, I automatically knew I wanted an Irish persona. It's my
        > heritage (typical argument) and I love the Irish Gaelic language. I
        > wanted the name Brighid due to the Goddess Brighid or Brig being the
        > Goddess of blacksmithing (I was once an apprentice) and her rumored
        > link to the Tuatha de Danaan(a group of people I'm very interested
        > in). However, now I'm questioning it as there seem to be many women
        > with this name. Is it a common name?

        http://www.s-gabriel.org/

        One of my favorite websites for finding or creating a name. They do have
        a consulting service of sorts, but I know it's usually backed up
        somewhere around 3 months. The articles, however, I've found very useful.

        Fiora