Persona Assistance Request

  • Jeremy J. Slick
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2005
      Greetings Unto One and All!

      After almost 9 years of playing, I've gotten to the point where I have
      too many interests for just one persona. [[Typical SCA problem right
      there...*heh*]] ANYwho, I am looking at developing a secondary
      "winter" persona of a mid-15th century Russian (circa Kiev). Since my
      primary "summer" persona is Italian, I'd like to keep that in the
      forefront with this secondary persona.

      Here's what I have so far:

      1) Giudo was born in Florence circa 1420, and lives in the time of the
      early 1450's [[so he's older than I really am (for now)]].

      2) Giudo has been doing some travelling to the northeastern areas of
      Europe and Central Asia. [[Modernly, I'm looking at the areas of the
      Ukraine, Turkey, and Afghanistan.]]

      3) Giudo's trade may be that of a fabric/spice merchant. [[I'm still
      up in the air about this though. But my interest in costuming and
      herbalism needs another outlet, right?]]

      4) I'd like to run with the theory that Giudo has "gone incognito" in
      Kiev during the winter months where he "plies his trade" (whatever
      that may be).

      So...here are my questions:

      1) Does anyone have any costuming links for mid-15th century Russian?

      2) Do we have a herald on the list who understands Russian onomastics?
      [[I may be a herald, but I prefer armory and Italian onomastics.]] If
      so, I would like to come up with something that eithre sounds similar
      to Giudo in Russian that I will be able to respond to the name, or to
      find something that plays off the sound of "llama" or means something
      along that line. [[Someone suggested Pur'cha Llamanov Boi at one
      point, but a) the name construction seems wrong, b) Pur'cha is at
      least a full 200+ years before the other name elements, and c) Pur'cha
      means "chicken" and Boi means "fight"...not a cartoon theatre image
      that I wish to have people thinking of, especially with be a part of
      Clan Blue Feather on top of it all. *heh* (And to those whose cartoon
      theatres just went up in flames thinking about it, my sincerest
      apologies.)]]

      3) Does anyone have any historical references about any trade or
      interaction between central Italy (Florence, Tuscany) with Russia
      (Kiev, Ukraine)? I'd like to get some historical information to work
      with for developing this alternate persona.

      OK...I think that's it for questions (for now). I look forward to the
      Until the next time,
      Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
      Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir