Persona Assistance Request
- Greetings Unto One and All!
After almost 9 years of playing, I've gotten to the point where I have
too many interests for just one persona. [[Typical SCA problem right
there...*heh*]] ANYwho, I am looking at developing a secondary
"winter" persona of a mid-15th century Russian (circa Kiev). Since my
primary "summer" persona is Italian, I'd like to keep that in the
forefront with this secondary persona.
Here's what I have so far:
1) Giudo was born in Florence circa 1420, and lives in the time of the
early 1450's [[so he's older than I really am (for now)]].
2) Giudo has been doing some travelling to the northeastern areas of
Europe and Central Asia. [[Modernly, I'm looking at the areas of the
Ukraine, Turkey, and Afghanistan.]]
3) Giudo's trade may be that of a fabric/spice merchant. [[I'm still
up in the air about this though. But my interest in costuming and
herbalism needs another outlet, right?]]
4) I'd like to run with the theory that Giudo has "gone incognito" in
Kiev during the winter months where he "plies his trade" (whatever
that may be).
So...here are my questions:
1) Does anyone have any costuming links for mid-15th century Russian?
2) Do we have a herald on the list who understands Russian onomastics?
[[I may be a herald, but I prefer armory and Italian onomastics.]] If
so, I would like to come up with something that eithre sounds similar
to Giudo in Russian that I will be able to respond to the name, or to
find something that plays off the sound of "llama" or means something
along that line. [[Someone suggested Pur'cha Llamanov Boi at one
point, but a) the name construction seems wrong, b) Pur'cha is at
least a full 200+ years before the other name elements, and c) Pur'cha
means "chicken" and Boi means "fight"...not a cartoon theatre image
that I wish to have people thinking of, especially with be a part of
Clan Blue Feather on top of it all. *heh* (And to those whose cartoon
theatres just went up in flames thinking about it, my sincerest
3) Does anyone have any historical references about any trade or
interaction between central Italy (Florence, Tuscany) with Russia
(Kiev, Ukraine)? I'd like to get some historical information to work
with for developing this alternate persona.
OK...I think that's it for questions (for now). I look forward to the
responses to these questions.
Until the next time,
Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir