Mentor & Fealty Survey

  • Jeremy J. Slick
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2005
      Greetings Unto One and All!

      I am currently in the process of researching two aspects of the SCA
      that I find quite interesting, but information seems lacking for:
      fealty oaths and mentoring relationships. My goal is to obtain
      feedback, examples, and suggestions that can later be compiled into an
      article (or three). I request that any feedback from this survey be
      forwarded to the following E-Mail address: jeremy.slick@...

      There are three parts to this survey, so please make sure that you
      have reviewed all three parts before sending your E-Mail onward. Part
      A is basic statistical data so that I can get a feel for who has
      provided commentary, Part B deals with mentor relationships, and Part
      C deals with fealty oaths. These questions barely scratch the surface
      of the material and topics, however, I'd rather not overload you all
      with too many questions.

      I look forward to any and all commentary, and anticipate the time to
      spend writing an article (or three) on these topics. My apologies for
      those that receive more than once, as I have forwarded this off to at
      least three different mailing lists. And now...ON TO THE SURVEY!!!

      Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
      Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
      Deodar & La Grande Tente Pursuivant
      Student to HE Master Modar Neznanich

      *** START SURVEY ***

      Part A: Statistical Data

      1) Society Name
      2) Kingdom of Residence
      3) Years in the Society
      4) Honors / Awards
      5a) Have you taken on any students or equivalent?
      5b) Have you been (or currently are you) a student or equivalent?
      5c) What type of student / mentor relationship did you have? (ie:
      page/liege, Laurel/apprentice, patron/beneficiary, formal, informal, etc)

      Part B: Mentor Relationships
      *** NOTE: By custom, most members of the SCA are familiar with three
      forms of mentor/student relationships: Laurels and apprentices,
      Pelicans and proteges, and Knights and squires. There are also youth
      who have served as pages. Most of these mentor relationships involve
      at least one member to be a Peer. These questions are aimed at both
      Peerage level mentor/student relationships, but more speficifally at
      non-Peerage level relationships. Please keep this in mind as you read
      and respond to this section of questions.

      1) How do you view non-Peers who take on students?

      2) Do you feel that non-Peers should be teaching outside of the Royal
      Universities? Under what settings do you see non-Peers teaching?

      3) As a Peer, do you encourage your own students to take on students
      of their own and/or to teach outside of the Royal Univerity setting?
      ...in the Royal University setting?

      4) As a non-Peer, if you have taken on students, how did you approach
      this kind of relationship? Were there any repercussions for doing
      this? What sort of obstacles did you face?

      5) What are your expectations of a student? ...of a mentor? ...of a
      Peer? ...of a newcomer?

      6) What factors are important to consider in a student / mentor
      reltionship?

      7) Do you have any examples of student / mentor experiences that you
      would be willing to share that may aid others in the future?

      8) Do you feel that non-Peer student / mentor reltionships detract
      from the Peerages? ...attract people to acheive the Peerage level?

      Part C: Fealty Oaths

      1) Do you think that fealty oaths can be part of the student / mentor
      relationship? Should fealty be part of the student / mentor relationship?

      2) Under what conditions is fealty appropriate?

      3) What factors are important to consider in regards to swearing /
      receiving fealty?

      4) Do you have any experiences with fealty oaths that you would be
      willing to share that may aid others in the future?

      5) If you have gone through a fealty oath, could you describe the
      ceremony and / or setting for that, if able to do so? What were the
      circumstances and conditions of the fealty oath?

      *** END SURVEY ***