Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: good weight for linings?

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2005
      In a message dated 4/23/2005 10:59:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      michelle@... writes:

      <<Is 5 oz. linen too heavy for use as a lining fabric?
      (I have some originally intended for garb, and it's very nice :-) I've got
      some tropical-weight wool and such that are about that weight themselves...
      it would seem that anything heavier would be too much for lining, but much
      thinner (such as 3.5 oz "hanky" weight) would be too lightweight to do the
      job? Or am I on the wrong track here? >>

      It would really depend on your outer fabric. You need something that will
      hang similarly to the outer fabric and not make it stiffer or be too floppy
      compared to the outer.

      That said, I don't know that there is much evidence for lining kirtles and
      cotehardies, at the very least. Facings at the neck and any lacing edges,
      certainly, but not full linings. Can't speak for sideless surcoats, and
      houppleande sleeves would probably be lined if they are big open ones. But since
      these are showy, extravagant garments, I think if they did line them it would
      be with something more expensive in period terms than linen - more likely silk
      or something.

      Lancaster, PA