Re: [SCA Newcomers] banner

  • Jeff Gedney
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 22, 2005
      A "device" is the generic term for an "Item of Heraldric depiction" and can include Badges, Arms, Banners, Flags and
      Seals.
      Arms are a specific name for a device that is given to symbolize a "noble" family or person. They are "armigererous".
      In the real world usage, that means that the family or person so designated as noble (and through that nobility is expected to stand in defense of the realme).

      In SCA usage, it is not "Arms" until you have been made "noble" and given the right to "carry arms" by the King.
      Most of the time this is done in an "Award of Arms".
      Then, and only then does your "device" become "Arms".

      All that stuff you see outside the base device is not the "arms"
      They are embellishments of one sort or another that basically
      further serve as rank identification or show affiliation.
      They are collectively called the "Achievements of the Arms"

      Those things are called the "crest" (what's on top of the Helm, if anything), the "torse" (a wreath on the helm with cloth bits hanging down), the "motto" (what's on the banner under the shield, if there is one) "supporters" (animal or human figures holding the shield) and "mantling" (that flowy stuff behind the shield)

      In the SCA you can use all or most of these depending on what priviliges you have earned in your SCA career, and the traditions of the Kingdom in which you live.

      Most of these things The College of Arms does not regulate, one or two we may.

      Mottoes are one thing we tend to ignore ( unless it is publicly offensive, but that is a taste issue, not a heraldic one )

      "Crest" is something else that the SCA does not specifically deal with.

      Right from the start in the SCA you can "display" your device using Mantling, a Helm with a Torse, and a Crest, and a Motto if you want.
      (And it still wont be "Arms" until you are awarded the RIGHT to "Carry Arms")

      Capt Elias
      -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

      - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
      There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
      than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

      If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
      wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
      to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
      - Antoine de Saint Exupery

      From: Janet <HI_it_is_me@...>
      Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:31:28 -0700 (PDT)