Re: [SCA Newcomers] Pavilion Wanted

  • Richard Terry
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20, 2005
      http://www.redhawktrading.com/

      If you haven't shopped here yet, give them a look. Their tents are plain, but VERY well made, with some features that are incredibly useful. Very solidly made out of great materials. And, since they are a small company, they are very willing to discuss modifications for nominal prices.

      We bought a 12' x 15' hipped marquee pavillion with 7' sides and 11' ceiling AND a 15' x15' awning off the front of it for less than a thousand dollars. They have many other styles and sizes of tents available in lots of different price ranges. Ropes and poles are not included, but specifications for them are. Optional stakes are very well made and worth the money. Certainly recommend that you check them out.

      Do note that they primarily make tents for Civil War and American West re-enactors. You have to look a bit for their medieval tents. Just have to understand that a marquee tent IS medieval, even if it is set up with a stovepipe hanging out the side. <g>

      YIS

      Richard Sinclair
      Hounds of Legend

      "Nicholas of Dartmoor. FK A ; NIKOLAI" <clawriver@...> wrote:
      We are a new family in the SCA.
      I have participated for a cpl of years, but my wife and child only recently.
      We are now becomming more active in the SCA and are in the market for a Pavilion...USED.
      We can spend around $700...but would like around $500.
      I have 'OK' Wood working skills...my wife is a new seamstress and
      may not be up to sewing canvas.
      I have checked out panthar pavilions and they are way too
      expensive.
      ALL my other on-line sources have come up nil.

      I can make poles. ropes. etc.

      But the Canvas...thats the hard part.

      Is there ANYTHING I can make from squares of painter's drop clothes?
      They are cheap and should hold the weather at Pennisic ( if water
      proofed )?
      ANY help would be nice...Ive tried every other avenue I know.
      Just doesnt seem to be alot of used Pavilions out there... ( tought
      SOMEONE might up-grade )

      PLEASE HELP

      I need something for Pennsic this year..

      YIS,

      Nicholas of Dartmoor

    • Scarlett
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20, 2005
        Ok. First of all, what do you want the pavilion for? If you want it only for shade, go out and buy an easy to put up pop-up. You can get a large Easy-up for under $200. I got a 10X10 for like $90. Then you can get some plain heavy cotton and waterproof that and make a cover for it that has those trailing things that cover the metal poles. That will make it look period.

        If you want to camp in the pavilion also, there are other options. You can get a good 8 - 10 person tent for somewhere around $150. Then waterproof it and you're good. However, it's not period looking and I don't know of any way to make a cover for it to make it look period.

        My suggestion is to look around at the sporting goods stores first and see what you can find.

        In Service to the Dream,
        Lady Elizabetta "Maria" de Medici
        Maria Buchanan
        Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate