Re: [SCA Newcomers] need help, please

  • Jeremy Slick
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9, 2005
      Greetings Patrick!

      First of all, welcome! You sound like you're following
      the same path I followed when first starting out in
      the SCA (aka: sit back and observe, and quietly
      research away). Honestly, there is nothing wrong with
      that, as many of us "learn" through different methods.

      BUT...it sounds like you're ready to take that leap
      from sitting back and observing...to helping out and
      sharing that new-found knowledge. For that...Good for
      you!

      Now, how to best go about that? Well, the first thing
      I'm going to ask is: What are your interests? I will
      guarentee at least 1-2 people on this list will share
      that interest...or know someone that does! And from
      there, you can certainly start working on networking
      out and be pointed in the direction of people to seek
      out.

      If you have more specific questions or want to hear
      more about my path to where I am now, please feel free
      to contact me offlist at: giudo@...

      Until the next time...

      Al servizio della Corona, del Regno e della Societ�,
      Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
      Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
      Deodar & La Grande Tente Pursuivant
      Modar's 14 of 8 (Agent LL) /// Long Live the Llama!!!
      "La morte � l'unica vera avventura"

    • Amber/Sosi
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2005
        Giudo! I didn't know you were on this list...
        How's the costuming coming? (haha grin :-))

        Sosi
        New

        One's own ear-ring to one's dear friend-Russian proverb

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
          In a message dated 4/9/2005 10:47:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          dances_with_salmon@... writes:

          <<I am
          some what shy. In that time haven't made any close friendships. I have
          not found anyone exactly interested in in my reasreach or in similar
          research to guide me, or collaborate with. I know I need to get involved,
          but how? HOW DO I GET INVOLVED ????>>

          A lot of scadians are shy, too.

          I have two suggestions for you:
          1. At events, see what needs doing and offer to help - moving tables and
          chairs, washing dishes, cutting veggies in the kitchen, running errands for
          someone. This will help you get to know people and for them to get to know you.
          Right now they are probably respecting what they see as your need to sit
          back and watch. If you are helping, they are more likely to talk to you, and
          some really cool people do most of the helping.

          2. Tell us where you are, and what your interests and area of research are,
          and we may be able to introduce you to someone in your area with similar
          interests.

          Lancaster, PA

        • Jeremy Slick
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
            Sosi asked:
            "How's the costuming coming?"

            I'm assuming you're referring to that Insane Project
            (tm) that I was talking about on the SCA-Newbie list,
            right? *LOL* Well...it's not...yet.

            I'm sort of buried under the painting and such of 60+
            heraldic banners for the upcoming Crown Tournament
            that we have going on here on May 7th. *LOL* [[Who's
            idea was it to do 60 banners again, BTW? Oh wait,
            nevermind...I know that answer. *heh*]]

            Yahoo! Mail Mobile
            http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail