Re: [SCA Newcomers] need help, please

  • Patrick Callahan
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9, 2005
      I have been member of the SCA for three years. I have spent those three
      years watching the SCA, but not doing much else at events. I enjoy
      watching, but I want more. I do all my own researched on the web. I am
      some what shy. In that time haven't made any close friendships. I have
      not found anyone exactly interested in in my reasreach or in similar
      research to guide me, or collaborate with. I know I need to get involved,
      but how? HOW DO I GET INVOLVED ????

      Lost And Confused
    • Jeremy Slick
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2005
        Greetings Patrick!

        First of all, welcome! You sound like you're following
        the same path I followed when first starting out in
        the SCA (aka: sit back and observe, and quietly
        research away). Honestly, there is nothing wrong with
        that, as many of us "learn" through different methods.

        BUT...it sounds like you're ready to take that leap
        from sitting back and observing...to helping out and
        sharing that new-found knowledge. For that...Good for
        you!

        Now, how to best go about that? Well, the first thing
        I'm going to ask is: What are your interests? I will
        guarentee at least 1-2 people on this list will share
        that interest...or know someone that does! And from
        there, you can certainly start working on networking
        out and be pointed in the direction of people to seek
        out.

        If you have more specific questions or want to hear
        more about my path to where I am now, please feel free
        to contact me offlist at: giudo@...

        Until the next time...

        Al servizio della Corona, del Regno e della Societ�,
        Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
        Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
        Deodar & La Grande Tente Pursuivant
        Modar's 14 of 8 (Agent LL) /// Long Live the Llama!!!
        "La morte � l'unica vera avventura"

      • Amber/Sosi
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2005
          Giudo! I didn't know you were on this list...
          How's the costuming coming? (haha grin :-))

          Sosi
          New

          One's own ear-ring to one's dear friend-Russian proverb

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
            In a message dated 4/9/2005 10:47:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            dances_with_salmon@... writes:

            <<I am
            some what shy. In that time haven't made any close friendships. I have
            not found anyone exactly interested in in my reasreach or in similar
            research to guide me, or collaborate with. I know I need to get involved,
            but how? HOW DO I GET INVOLVED ????>>

            A lot of scadians are shy, too.

            I have two suggestions for you:
            1. At events, see what needs doing and offer to help - moving tables and
            chairs, washing dishes, cutting veggies in the kitchen, running errands for
            someone. This will help you get to know people and for them to get to know you.
            Right now they are probably respecting what they see as your need to sit
            back and watch. If you are helping, they are more likely to talk to you, and
            some really cool people do most of the helping.

            2. Tell us where you are, and what your interests and area of research are,
            and we may be able to introduce you to someone in your area with similar
            interests.

            Lancaster, PA

          • Jeremy Slick
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
              Sosi asked:
              "How's the costuming coming?"

              I'm assuming you're referring to that Insane Project
              (tm) that I was talking about on the SCA-Newbie list,
              right? *LOL* Well...it's not...yet.

              I'm sort of buried under the painting and such of 60+
              heraldic banners for the upcoming Crown Tournament
              that we have going on here on May 7th. *LOL* [[Who's
              idea was it to do 60 banners again, BTW? Oh wait,
              nevermind...I know that answer. *heh*]]

              Yahoo! Mail Mobile
              http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail