Re: [SCA Newcomers] need help, please

  • Jeff Gedney
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
      >You can be a member without having an SCA name. We welcome all!

      Aye Welcome!!

      Heck, you can attend events and do anything in the SCA except hold an office without becoming a paid member.

      I always advise newcomers to attend at least three events and three local meetings or practices before committing to joining the SCA as a paid member.

      There are often unspoken preconceptions about what the SCA "IS", and many of them are not all that connected with the reality of what the SCA actually "is".

      Sometimes new people find the difference between their preconceptions of the SCA and the reality quite jarring.

      Most people simply adjust their view to cope with the reality, but I have seen it happen often enough in my "mumblemumble" years in the SCA (twenty nine, actually), that the person feels disabused and unhappy about the difference.

      Since the only real _requirement_ for attending events is to have an "attempt at pre-seventeenth century costume", I always suggest at least a few months of "settling in" to give the new person a chance to adjust to the way that their particular local group "works" ( and every group is a little different ).

      THEN they can decide if they want to become a "member" and start getting more involved and just possibly fill a vacancy in the local roster of officers.

      In my nearly thirty years, I have found that you have more fun in the SCA DOING things than you can WATCHING things, so get involved right from the beginning, take a turn at the gate, wash pots in the kitchen, pick up a sword, attend a class or two.

      TRY EVERYTHING ONCE, and then decide what you like.

      When I first joind the SCA I *KNEW* what I wanted to do, I was gonna be a fighter and blacksmith. I loved the IDEA of doing that. that was one of my preconceptions.

      guess what? I am not that at all now. I found a hundred other things I like as much or more than fighting and smithying.

      The SCA is a "dilletante's paradise".

      Go!
      Browse!
      Enjoy!

      THEN decide!

      Capt Elias

      -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

      - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
      There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

      If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
      wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
      to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
      - Antoine de Saint Exupery
    • Scarlett
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
        Eliza, I'm a Hospitaler for a Barony and a Shire and I still don't have a registered SCA name. I tried to register a name at one point but it got rejected. Since then I've changed names so often that I never registered one. Now that I'm a Hospitaler and I've got a name that I've been using for a little while, I think I'll try to register this one. My advice. Think very carefully and research fully before sending in a registration. LOL Mine got rejected because the current Queen of England has an ancestor who was Maria of Modena and I was trying to register Maria da Modena. Even though the person didn't live in period I still can't use the name.

        Research, research, research. That's all I can say.

        In Service to the Dream,
        Lady Elizabetta "Maria" de Medici
        Maria Buchanan
        Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
        Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
        281-433-0347
        >You can be a member without having an SCA name. We welcome all!

        Aye Welcome!!

        Heck, you can attend events and do anything in the SCA except hold an office without becoming a paid member.

        I always advise newcomers to attend at least three events and three local meetings or practices before committing to joining the SCA as a paid member.

        There are often unspoken preconceptions about what the SCA "IS", and many of them are not all that connected with the reality of what the SCA actually "is".

        Sometimes new people find the difference between their preconceptions of the SCA and the reality quite jarring.

        Most people simply adjust their view to cope with the reality, but I have seen it happen often enough in my "mumblemumble" years in the SCA (twenty nine, actually), that the person feels disabused and unhappy about the difference.

        Since the only real _requirement_ for attending events is to have an "attempt at pre-seventeenth century costume", I always suggest at least a few months of "settling in" to give the new person a chance to adjust to the way that their particular local group "works" ( and every group is a little different ).

        THEN they can decide if they want to become a "member" and start getting more involved and just possibly fill a vacancy in the local roster of officers.

        In my nearly thirty years, I have found that you have more fun in the SCA DOING things than you can WATCHING things, so get involved right from the beginning, take a turn at the gate, wash pots in the kitchen, pick up a sword, attend a class or two.

        TRY EVERYTHING ONCE, and then decide what you like.

        When I first joind the SCA I *KNEW* what I wanted to do, I was gonna be a fighter and blacksmith. I loved the IDEA of doing that. that was one of my preconceptions.

        guess what? I am not that at all now. I found a hundred other things I like as much or more than fighting and smithying.

        The SCA is a "dilletante's paradise".

        Go!
        Browse!
        Enjoy!

        THEN decide!

        Capt Elias

        -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

        - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
        There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

        If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
        wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
        to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
        - Antoine de Saint Exupery

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2005
          Well thats not exactly true... In some Kingdoms most notably the
          Middle and Northshield, to be an authorized fighter you have to be a
          paid member... You can go to local practices until you authorize but
          cannot fight at events...

          Cristal of Windhaven
          Kingdom of Northshield

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Gedney" <gedney1@i...>