Re: [SCA Newcomers] need help, please

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2005
      Eliza,
      Ok, so you can be a paid SCA member without a
      registered SCA name...I have been since October...I'm
      just now starting to think about a name. Heck, you
      don't even need a persona. If you need ideas for garb,
      an easy place to start for beginner garb would be to
      find some art that was done in the period and place
      your interested in. Good luck!
      ~Janet
      Falcon's Quarry
      Middle Kingdom

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2005
        On Thursday 07 April 2005 20:13, Janet wrote:
        > Ok, so you can be a paid SCA member without a
        > registered SCA name...

        Absolutely. The "SCA name" you put on membership registration is (as the
        card itself indicates) just for reference, and not really official. So it
        is equally okay to have none at all. :-)

        In the Midrealm, a registered name isn't required for anything, except that
        if you form a new *shire* you have to have the name registered before the
        group can advance to permanent status. For individuals, no such requirement.
        In fact, I know at least one lady who is a Peer of the Realm who does not
        have a registered name yet. Her name is really pretty and *sounds* Welsh,
        but she can't document it to period.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Alison Choyce
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
          You can be a member without having an SCA name. We welcome all!

          Take care,
          Alison Wodehalle

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
            >You can be a member without having an SCA name. We welcome all!

            Aye Welcome!!

            Heck, you can attend events and do anything in the SCA except hold an office without becoming a paid member.

            I always advise newcomers to attend at least three events and three local meetings or practices before committing to joining the SCA as a paid member.

            There are often unspoken preconceptions about what the SCA "IS", and many of them are not all that connected with the reality of what the SCA actually "is".

            Sometimes new people find the difference between their preconceptions of the SCA and the reality quite jarring.

            Most people simply adjust their view to cope with the reality, but I have seen it happen often enough in my "mumblemumble" years in the SCA (twenty nine, actually), that the person feels disabused and unhappy about the difference.

            Since the only real _requirement_ for attending events is to have an "attempt at pre-seventeenth century costume", I always suggest at least a few months of "settling in" to give the new person a chance to adjust to the way that their particular local group "works" ( and every group is a little different ).

            THEN they can decide if they want to become a "member" and start getting more involved and just possibly fill a vacancy in the local roster of officers.

            In my nearly thirty years, I have found that you have more fun in the SCA DOING things than you can WATCHING things, so get involved right from the beginning, take a turn at the gate, wash pots in the kitchen, pick up a sword, attend a class or two.

            TRY EVERYTHING ONCE, and then decide what you like.

            When I first joind the SCA I *KNEW* what I wanted to do, I was gonna be a fighter and blacksmith. I loved the IDEA of doing that. that was one of my preconceptions.

            guess what? I am not that at all now. I found a hundred other things I like as much or more than fighting and smithying.

            The SCA is a "dilletante's paradise".

            Go!
            Browse!
            Enjoy!

            THEN decide!

            Capt Elias

            -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

            - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
            There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

            If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
            wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
            to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
            - Antoine de Saint Exupery
          • Scarlett
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
              Eliza, I'm a Hospitaler for a Barony and a Shire and I still don't have a registered SCA name. I tried to register a name at one point but it got rejected. Since then I've changed names so often that I never registered one. Now that I'm a Hospitaler and I've got a name that I've been using for a little while, I think I'll try to register this one. My advice. Think very carefully and research fully before sending in a registration. LOL Mine got rejected because the current Queen of England has an ancestor who was Maria of Modena and I was trying to register Maria da Modena. Even though the person didn't live in period I still can't use the name.

              Research, research, research. That's all I can say.

              In Service to the Dream,
              Lady Elizabetta "Maria" de Medici
              Maria Buchanan
              Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
              Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
              281-433-0347
              >You can be a member without having an SCA name. We welcome all!

              Aye Welcome!!

              Heck, you can attend events and do anything in the SCA except hold an office without becoming a paid member.

              I always advise newcomers to attend at least three events and three local meetings or practices before committing to joining the SCA as a paid member.

              There are often unspoken preconceptions about what the SCA "IS", and many of them are not all that connected with the reality of what the SCA actually "is".

              Sometimes new people find the difference between their preconceptions of the SCA and the reality quite jarring.

              Most people simply adjust their view to cope with the reality, but I have seen it happen often enough in my "mumblemumble" years in the SCA (twenty nine, actually), that the person feels disabused and unhappy about the difference.

              Since the only real _requirement_ for attending events is to have an "attempt at pre-seventeenth century costume", I always suggest at least a few months of "settling in" to give the new person a chance to adjust to the way that their particular local group "works" ( and every group is a little different ).

              THEN they can decide if they want to become a "member" and start getting more involved and just possibly fill a vacancy in the local roster of officers.

              In my nearly thirty years, I have found that you have more fun in the SCA DOING things than you can WATCHING things, so get involved right from the beginning, take a turn at the gate, wash pots in the kitchen, pick up a sword, attend a class or two.

              TRY EVERYTHING ONCE, and then decide what you like.

              When I first joind the SCA I *KNEW* what I wanted to do, I was gonna be a fighter and blacksmith. I loved the IDEA of doing that. that was one of my preconceptions.

              guess what? I am not that at all now. I found a hundred other things I like as much or more than fighting and smithying.

              The SCA is a "dilletante's paradise".

              Go!
              Browse!
              Enjoy!

              THEN decide!

              Capt Elias

              -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

              - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
              There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

              If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
              wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
              to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
              - Antoine de Saint Exupery

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 9, 2005
                Well thats not exactly true... In some Kingdoms most notably the
                Middle and Northshield, to be an authorized fighter you have to be a
                paid member... You can go to local practices until you authorize but
                cannot fight at events...

                Cristal of Windhaven
                Kingdom of Northshield

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Gedney" <gedney1@i...>