Re: [SCA Newcomers] need help, please

  • giudo@mchsi.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2005
      Greetings Eliza!

      First, before I start disseminating any word of wisdom or overloading you with
      questions and/or suggestions: WELCOME!!! *hugs* Take a deep breath, take a seat,
      and share a beverage of your choice.

      Now, moving onto business, you mentioned looking at Scandanavia for your
      persona. Are you looking more for Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, or Danish? Each
      culture has similar, but distinctly different, clothing and naming practices.

      While you're contemplating what region of Scandanavia you are intrigued by, here
      are a couple articles on picking a name/developing a persona in the SCA that
      might be helpful:

      Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers by Dietmar Rienhart von Straubing
      and Malachias von Moregenstern:
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html

      Choosing a Name/Creating a Persona by HE Master Modar Neznanich, OP:
      http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Names.htm

      Scandanavian Names (from the Medieval Names Archives of the Academy of St. Gabriel):
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/scandinavian.shtml

      Research Questions for Developing a Persona by HE Master Modar Neznanich, OP:
      http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Persona1.htm

      I hope I've not bogged you down TOO much with these links and references. Take
      some time to mull things over. There is nothing wrong with going by your mundane
      name until you find something you like better; there are MANY people who do that
      (and some that STILL do that years later). Don't feel pressured into choosing a
      name right away because everyone else has one; this is YOUR name you're picking,
      so take as much time as you need. *nods* [[And if anyone locally gives you any
      flack about it, send 'em my way. ;) ]]

      --
      Al servizio della Corona, del Regno e della Societ�,
      Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2005
        Thanks for the hug =0) I needed one and its very nice to meet you. I was mainly interested in Norway, right around the end of the 14th century. Thanks for the links; I�m more than grateful for some guidance. I want to become a member soon and I figured you have to have an SCA name to become a full-fledged member. So I�m kind of pushing myself to find one. I originally started looking at costume books trying to figure when and where I wanted to be from, but I didn't have much luck. Then I started reading medieval history books and I read about Queen Margaret and I kind of got hooked on Norway. Anyway, I won't bore you anymore. Thank you for the links.

        Till Later,
        Eliza

        giudo@... wrote:

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Janet
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2005
          Eliza,
          Ok, so you can be a paid SCA member without a
          registered SCA name...I have been since October...I'm
          just now starting to think about a name. Heck, you
          don't even need a persona. If you need ideas for garb,
          an easy place to start for beginner garb would be to
          find some art that was done in the period and place
          your interested in. Good luck!
          ~Janet
          Falcon's Quarry
          Middle Kingdom

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7, 2005
            On Thursday 07 April 2005 20:13, Janet wrote:
            > Ok, so you can be a paid SCA member without a
            > registered SCA name...

            Absolutely. The "SCA name" you put on membership registration is (as the
            card itself indicates) just for reference, and not really official. So it
            is equally okay to have none at all. :-)

            In the Midrealm, a registered name isn't required for anything, except that
            if you form a new *shire* you have to have the name registered before the
            group can advance to permanent status. For individuals, no such requirement.
            In fact, I know at least one lady who is a Peer of the Realm who does not
            have a registered name yet. Her name is really pretty and *sounds* Welsh,
            but she can't document it to period.

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Alison Choyce
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
              You can be a member without having an SCA name. We welcome all!

              Take care,
              Alison Wodehalle

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
                >You can be a member without having an SCA name. We welcome all!

                Aye Welcome!!

                Heck, you can attend events and do anything in the SCA except hold an office without becoming a paid member.

                I always advise newcomers to attend at least three events and three local meetings or practices before committing to joining the SCA as a paid member.

                There are often unspoken preconceptions about what the SCA "IS", and many of them are not all that connected with the reality of what the SCA actually "is".

                Sometimes new people find the difference between their preconceptions of the SCA and the reality quite jarring.

                Most people simply adjust their view to cope with the reality, but I have seen it happen often enough in my "mumblemumble" years in the SCA (twenty nine, actually), that the person feels disabused and unhappy about the difference.

                Since the only real _requirement_ for attending events is to have an "attempt at pre-seventeenth century costume", I always suggest at least a few months of "settling in" to give the new person a chance to adjust to the way that their particular local group "works" ( and every group is a little different ).

                THEN they can decide if they want to become a "member" and start getting more involved and just possibly fill a vacancy in the local roster of officers.

                In my nearly thirty years, I have found that you have more fun in the SCA DOING things than you can WATCHING things, so get involved right from the beginning, take a turn at the gate, wash pots in the kitchen, pick up a sword, attend a class or two.

                TRY EVERYTHING ONCE, and then decide what you like.

                When I first joind the SCA I *KNEW* what I wanted to do, I was gonna be a fighter and blacksmith. I loved the IDEA of doing that. that was one of my preconceptions.

                guess what? I am not that at all now. I found a hundred other things I like as much or more than fighting and smithying.

                The SCA is a "dilletante's paradise".

                Go!
                Browse!
                Enjoy!

                THEN decide!

                Capt Elias

                -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
                There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

                If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
                wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
                to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
                - Antoine de Saint Exupery
              • Scarlett
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
                  Eliza, I'm a Hospitaler for a Barony and a Shire and I still don't have a registered SCA name. I tried to register a name at one point but it got rejected. Since then I've changed names so often that I never registered one. Now that I'm a Hospitaler and I've got a name that I've been using for a little while, I think I'll try to register this one. My advice. Think very carefully and research fully before sending in a registration. LOL Mine got rejected because the current Queen of England has an ancestor who was Maria of Modena and I was trying to register Maria da Modena. Even though the person didn't live in period I still can't use the name.

                  Research, research, research. That's all I can say.

                  In Service to the Dream,
                  Lady Elizabetta "Maria" de Medici
                  Maria Buchanan
                  Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                  Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                  281-433-0347
                  >You can be a member without having an SCA name. We welcome all!

                  Aye Welcome!!

                  Heck, you can attend events and do anything in the SCA except hold an office without becoming a paid member.

                  I always advise newcomers to attend at least three events and three local meetings or practices before committing to joining the SCA as a paid member.

                  There are often unspoken preconceptions about what the SCA "IS", and many of them are not all that connected with the reality of what the SCA actually "is".

                  Sometimes new people find the difference between their preconceptions of the SCA and the reality quite jarring.

                  Most people simply adjust their view to cope with the reality, but I have seen it happen often enough in my "mumblemumble" years in the SCA (twenty nine, actually), that the person feels disabused and unhappy about the difference.

                  Since the only real _requirement_ for attending events is to have an "attempt at pre-seventeenth century costume", I always suggest at least a few months of "settling in" to give the new person a chance to adjust to the way that their particular local group "works" ( and every group is a little different ).

                  THEN they can decide if they want to become a "member" and start getting more involved and just possibly fill a vacancy in the local roster of officers.

                  In my nearly thirty years, I have found that you have more fun in the SCA DOING things than you can WATCHING things, so get involved right from the beginning, take a turn at the gate, wash pots in the kitchen, pick up a sword, attend a class or two.

                  TRY EVERYTHING ONCE, and then decide what you like.

                  When I first joind the SCA I *KNEW* what I wanted to do, I was gonna be a fighter and blacksmith. I loved the IDEA of doing that. that was one of my preconceptions.

                  guess what? I am not that at all now. I found a hundred other things I like as much or more than fighting and smithying.

                  The SCA is a "dilletante's paradise".

                  Go!
                  Browse!
                  Enjoy!

                  THEN decide!

                  Capt Elias

                  -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                  - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
                  There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

                  If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
                  wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
                  to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
                  - Antoine de Saint Exupery

                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 9, 2005
                    Well thats not exactly true... In some Kingdoms most notably the
                    Middle and Northshield, to be an authorized fighter you have to be a
                    paid member... You can go to local practices until you authorize but
                    cannot fight at events...

                    Cristal of Windhaven
                    Kingdom of Northshield

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Gedney" <gedney1@i...>