Sailing information?

  • Benny Rawlings
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2005
      I am looking for some research sourses for information
      on late period sailing/maritime life and the crafts
      related to it (rope making, sailor garb, etc). So far
      I have not been able to navigate through the junk
      online, so if anyone has a site or book to recommend
      to me it'd be greatly appreciated.

      Benny Shaffer

      37% your base are belong to IRS!
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2005
        On Tuesday 05 April 2005 11:04, Benny Rawlings wrote:
        > 37% your base are belong to IRS!

        +1 -- funny

        (For those who have no idea what we're talking about, it's an inside Geek joke.
        Check out http://www.allyourbasearebelongtous.com/ or Google on the quoted
        phrase "all your base are belong to us".)

        Welcome to the list. You are a sick puppy. And coming from me, that's quite
        a compliment. ;-)

        P.S. -- I'm awaiting with interest the answers to your *real* question, because
        that topic is of interest to me as well. I'll look at our personal SCA library
        here and see if I can recommend some titles and ISBNs.

        Justin
        "All your shire are belong to us!"

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Jeff Gedney
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2005
          >I am looking for some research sourses for information
          >on late period sailing/maritime life and the crafts
          >related to it (rope making, sailor garb, etc). So far
          >I have not been able to navigate through the junk
          >online, so if anyone has a site or book to recommend
          >to me it'd be greatly appreciated.
          >
          >Benny Shaffer

          I specialize in this sort of research, so I guess I am your man...

          let me know what you need, specifically.
          you can contact me off list, if you wish

          Time/place?

          Capt Elias
          -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

          - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
          There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

          If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
          wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
          to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
          - Antoine de Saint Exupery
        • W Hunt
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2005
            There is an SCA Nautical list that you may be interested in, named aptly enough SCA-Nautical on yahoo groups.

            Benny Rawlings <erin_24601@...> wrote:
            I am looking for some research sourses for information
            on late period sailing/maritime life and the crafts
            related to it (rope making, sailor garb, etc). So far
            I have not been able to navigate through the junk
            online, so if anyone has a site or book to recommend
            to me it'd be greatly appreciated.

            Benny Shaffer

            37% your base are belong to IRS!

            ~Wendy

            "Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars."
            Serbian Proverb