On being a gentle Gentile

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2005
      Good morning, everyone!

      I wanted to bring a little "teaching moment" to the list, for the benefit
      of our newest members. In the SCA, we are all presumed to be of the landed
      gentry, even though we may not (yet) have been given a title of nobility
      such as Lord, Lady, Baroness, Baron, and so on. Since we are all of "gentle"
      birth, you will often hear SCA folk addressed collectively as "Gentles",
      which is short for "Gentlefolk", an term the SCA uses to de-generize the
      word "Gentlemen".

      It's quite common to hear someone begin a letter with phrasing such as,
      "Greetings good Gentles!" or something similar. It is, unfortunately, also
      quite common to see someone use the word "Gentiles" in the same context.
      That isn't correct, since Gentiles are those who are not of Jewish faith.

      This is an error that occurs very frequently, sometimes even among those
      who have been in the SCA for years, and since the purpose of this list is
      to provide a learning environment, it seemed appropriate to explain the
      difference here.

      While on the subject of word usage, I will also mention the difference
      between the words "populous" and "populace". The former is an adjective
      describing "a place where there are many people." The latter is a
      collective noun referring to "the people of a specific locale or place."

      Quite often, someone refers to the "populous of my shire", when the
      correct phrase would be the "populace of my shire". A simple guideline is
      that "populous" is almost always *wrong* unless a noun follows it, as
      in, "The most populous city in the world is Mexico City." (correct usage,
      because "populous" is an adjective describing "city") If the word that
      follows is "of", then "populace" is almost always the right choice.

      In cities that are populous
      Dwell folk who are magnanimous,
      Of gentle birth and noble heart,
      For whom the written word is art.

      This populace of gentle Lords
      And Ladies with their proper words
      Know "Gentile" means "one not a Jew"
      And "Gentles" are fine folk -- like you!

      keys fesswise reversed sable.