Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona question

  • Marco and Jitka Sainte
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
      Jeff Nusbaum wrote:

      > Greetings all:
      >
      > We are are new members of our Society, and we are in the process of
      > developing our personas. We have decided on late period (say 1500 or
      > so) Venice, and are looking for good sites for costuming, culture,
      > etc. We are having trouble sorting the wheat from the chaff on the
      > web, and we're hoping someone out there can point us in the direction
      > of sites and sources they have found useful.
      >
      > Among our interests are period fencing and jewelery making - perhaps
      > "Venetian" glass beads and such. Any research help in these areas
      > would be appreciated as well.
      >

      > In service to the Dream,
      >
      > Steffano d'Alberti (mka Jeffrey Nusbaum)
      > Giovanna d'Alberti (mka Janet Nusbaum)

      Ok, here's what I've got. :) It's mostly female costuming, but that was
      what I was interested in when I did the research.

      http://www.geocities.com/eero67/costuming/italian.htm - Interesting
      Italian dress diary
      http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/gallery/campi/wkclass.html -
      Italian working-class dress
      http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/introduction/info.html - Listing
      of various dress diaries, I think there was some good stuff in
      there.
      http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au/venetian_dress.htm - Excellent dress
      diary... she goes through everything she did to make the
      dress, including all the underwear. Also has a color chart for colors
      found in Venice.
      http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Italian_Studies/dweb/dweb.shtml -
      Bocaccio pages.
      http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Italian.htm - Persona resources,
      including men's information
      http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Briana3.htm - General costuming
      page, lots of good links, including an Italian chemise.
      http://homepages.wmich.edu/~rowen/renbk/rendressbook.html - Italian
      dress instructions, from 1470-ish to 1540-ish.
      http://ilaria.veltri.tripod.com/italiandress.html - Easy Italian Ren
      dress. (Warning: if you're 'goddess-sized', this will make you
      look at least semi-preganant, which is why I don't do much in this style
      anymore. But that's the point, really... pregant or heavy was
      pretty then.)
      http://www.twingroves.district96.k12.il.us/Renaissance/Town/Clothing/ClothingItalian.html
      - Another costuming site.

      Hope these help...

      YIS,
      Fiora

    • Franchesca
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 15, 2011
        Would it be too much of a stretch to be a person living in Flanders with a background of Spanish/Basque and English around 1450-1520? I really like these clothing styles (though I'm trying to get some help from the garb group to see if I am even dealing with realistic garb) but I want a good reason to be wearing it all. Is that silly? If not, what would you recommend to start with for garb? I really need to start working on it as I have my first event (and a big one) in three weeks!

        thanks!
      • christopher chastain
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 15, 2011
          Someone of mixed blood? Wouldnt be uncommon, just need to say something like father was a merchant who went to england met his wife there and brought her back to flanders. The way to look at it is is there a reason why someone would be of mixed blood? The answer in your case is yes, there was a good deal of trade going on. Your around the time of the great armada if I have my dates right so your fine.

          Yours in Humble Service,
          Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

          The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?

          ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          From: franchesca.taylor@...
          Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:37:47 +0000
          Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Persona question

          Would it be too much of a stretch to be a person living in Flanders with a background of Spanish/Basque and English around 1450-1520? I really like these clothing styles (though I'm trying to get some help from the garb group to see if I am even dealing with realistic garb) but I want a good reason to be wearing it all. Is that silly? If not, what would you recommend to start with for garb? I really need to start working on it as I have my first event (and a big one) in three weeks!

          thanks!

        • Franchesca Bush
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 15, 2011
            Thank you so much. I appreciate you assistance. I think I am going with my
            father was the daughter of a wealthy Flemish cloth merchant who was married
            to the son of an English wool merchant. We lived in Calais to oversee the
            trade and production of the wool?

            Françisca (I think will be my name as my grandmother will be Spanish :P)

            On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM, christopher chastain <
            ckchastain@...> wrote:

            > Someone of mixed blood? Wouldnt be uncommon, just need to say something
            > like father was a merchant who went to england met his wife there and
            > brought her back to flanders. The way to look at it is is there a reason why
            > someone would be of mixed blood? The answer in your case is yes, there was a
            > good deal of trade going on. Your around the time of the great armada if I
            > have my dates right so your fine.
            >

            > Yours in Humble Service,
            > Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
            >

            > The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the
            > following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?
            >

            > ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>
            >

            > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
            > From: franchesca.taylor@...
            > Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:37:47 +0000
            > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Persona question
            >

            > Would it be too much of a stretch to be a person living in Flanders with a
            > background of Spanish/Basque and English around 1450-1520? I really like
            > these clothing styles (though I'm trying to get some help from the garb
            > group to see if I am even dealing with realistic garb) but I want a good
            > reason to be wearing it all. Is that silly? If not, what would you recommend
            > to start with for garb? I really need to start working on it as I have my
            > first event (and a big one) in three weeks!
            >
            > thanks!

          • Stefan li Rous
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 16, 2011
              Françisca said:
              <<< Would it be too much of a stretch to be a person living in
              Flanders with a background of Spanish/Basque and English around
              1450-1520? I really like these clothing styles (though I'm trying to
              get some help from the garb group to see if I am even dealing with
              realistic garb) but I want a good reason to be wearing it all. Is
              that silly? If not, what would you recommend to start with for garb?
              I really need to start working on it as I have my first event (and a
              big one) in three weeks! >>>

              Which is the clothing that interests you? That of the Basques? Or that
              of Flanders?

              After being in a new area, I imagine folks would tend to adopt
              clothing closer to what the folks around them were wearing.

              Unfortunately, or maybe not depending on what you seek, Basque
              personas are little done in the SCA. I do have these two, short,
              files in the CULTURES section of the Florilegium which might be of use:
              Basques-bib (16K) 9/14/01 A Basque biblio. by Senhora Ester Mendes.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Basques-bib.html

              Basques-msg (28K) 4/29/06 Basque culture, language, names, clothing.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Basques-msg.html

              And on Flanders, at least I think this is where Flanders is:
              Low-Countries-msg (27K) 11/23/99 Medieval Netherlands and Belgium.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Low-Countries-msg.html

              For your first few events, I would say don't get caught up in finding
              perfect, period garb. See if you like us and our activities first and
              find out whether it is for you, then you can work on refining things.
              Either just find something that is 'generic' medieval or borrow
              something if you need to. Many local groups maintain chests of loaner
              clothes for newcomers. After all the minimum is to just make an
              attempt at medieval clothing. I will also say from some personal
              experiences, if you show up in great, authentic clothing, folks may
              assume you have already been in the Society for a number of years and
              may not think to bring you into local customs and activities.

              If you haven't, I'd also recommend you take a look at the files in the
              NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium.

              Stefan

              --------