Persona question

  • Jeff Nusbaum
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
      Greetings all:

      We are are new members of our Society, and we are in the process of developing our personas. We have decided on late period (say 1500 or so) Venice, and are looking for good sites for costuming, culture, etc. We are having trouble sorting the wheat from the chaff on the web, and we're hoping someone out there can point us in the direction of sites and sources they have found useful.

      Among our interests are period fencing and jewelery making - perhaps "Venetian" glass beads and such. Any research help in these areas would be appreciated as well.

      In service to the Dream,

      Steffano d'Alberti (mka Jeffrey Nusbaum)
      Giovanna d'Alberti (mka Janet Nusbaum)

    • Marco and Jitka Sainte
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
        Jeff Nusbaum wrote:

        > Greetings all:
        >
        > We are are new members of our Society, and we are in the process of
        > developing our personas. We have decided on late period (say 1500 or
        > so) Venice, and are looking for good sites for costuming, culture,
        > etc. We are having trouble sorting the wheat from the chaff on the
        > web, and we're hoping someone out there can point us in the direction
        > of sites and sources they have found useful.
        >
        > Among our interests are period fencing and jewelery making - perhaps
        > "Venetian" glass beads and such. Any research help in these areas
        > would be appreciated as well.
        >

        > In service to the Dream,
        >
        > Steffano d'Alberti (mka Jeffrey Nusbaum)
        > Giovanna d'Alberti (mka Janet Nusbaum)

        Ok, here's what I've got. :) It's mostly female costuming, but that was
        what I was interested in when I did the research.

        http://www.geocities.com/eero67/costuming/italian.htm - Interesting
        Italian dress diary
        http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/gallery/campi/wkclass.html -
        Italian working-class dress
        http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/introduction/info.html - Listing
        of various dress diaries, I think there was some good stuff in
        there.
        http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au/venetian_dress.htm - Excellent dress
        diary... she goes through everything she did to make the
        dress, including all the underwear. Also has a color chart for colors
        found in Venice.
        http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Italian_Studies/dweb/dweb.shtml -
        Bocaccio pages.
        http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Italian.htm - Persona resources,
        including men's information
        http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Briana3.htm - General costuming
        page, lots of good links, including an Italian chemise.
        http://homepages.wmich.edu/~rowen/renbk/rendressbook.html - Italian
        dress instructions, from 1470-ish to 1540-ish.
        http://ilaria.veltri.tripod.com/italiandress.html - Easy Italian Ren
        dress. (Warning: if you're 'goddess-sized', this will make you
        look at least semi-preganant, which is why I don't do much in this style
        anymore. But that's the point, really... pregant or heavy was
        pretty then.)
        http://www.twingroves.district96.k12.il.us/Renaissance/Town/Clothing/ClothingItalian.html
        - Another costuming site.

        Hope these help...

        YIS,
        Fiora

      • Franchesca
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 15, 2011
          Would it be too much of a stretch to be a person living in Flanders with a background of Spanish/Basque and English around 1450-1520? I really like these clothing styles (though I'm trying to get some help from the garb group to see if I am even dealing with realistic garb) but I want a good reason to be wearing it all. Is that silly? If not, what would you recommend to start with for garb? I really need to start working on it as I have my first event (and a big one) in three weeks!

          thanks!
        • christopher chastain
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 15, 2011
            Someone of mixed blood? Wouldnt be uncommon, just need to say something like father was a merchant who went to england met his wife there and brought her back to flanders. The way to look at it is is there a reason why someone would be of mixed blood? The answer in your case is yes, there was a good deal of trade going on. Your around the time of the great armada if I have my dates right so your fine.

            Yours in Humble Service,
            Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

            The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?

            ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
            From: franchesca.taylor@...
            Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:37:47 +0000
            Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Persona question

            Would it be too much of a stretch to be a person living in Flanders with a background of Spanish/Basque and English around 1450-1520? I really like these clothing styles (though I'm trying to get some help from the garb group to see if I am even dealing with realistic garb) but I want a good reason to be wearing it all. Is that silly? If not, what would you recommend to start with for garb? I really need to start working on it as I have my first event (and a big one) in three weeks!

            thanks!

          • Franchesca Bush
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 15, 2011
              Thank you so much. I appreciate you assistance. I think I am going with my
              father was the daughter of a wealthy Flemish cloth merchant who was married
              to the son of an English wool merchant. We lived in Calais to oversee the
              trade and production of the wool?

              Françisca (I think will be my name as my grandmother will be Spanish :P)

              On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM, christopher chastain <
              ckchastain@...> wrote:

              > Someone of mixed blood? Wouldnt be uncommon, just need to say something
              > like father was a merchant who went to england met his wife there and
              > brought her back to flanders. The way to look at it is is there a reason why
              > someone would be of mixed blood? The answer in your case is yes, there was a
              > good deal of trade going on. Your around the time of the great armada if I
              > have my dates right so your fine.
              >

              > Yours in Humble Service,
              > Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
              >

              > The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the
              > following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?
              >

              > ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>
              >

              > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
              > From: franchesca.taylor@...
              > Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:37:47 +0000
              > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Persona question
              >

              > Would it be too much of a stretch to be a person living in Flanders with a
              > background of Spanish/Basque and English around 1450-1520? I really like
              > these clothing styles (though I'm trying to get some help from the garb
              > group to see if I am even dealing with realistic garb) but I want a good
              > reason to be wearing it all. Is that silly? If not, what would you recommend
              > to start with for garb? I really need to start working on it as I have my
              > first event (and a big one) in three weeks!
              >
              > thanks!

            • Stefan li Rous
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 16, 2011
                Françisca said:
                <<< Would it be too much of a stretch to be a person living in
                Flanders with a background of Spanish/Basque and English around
                1450-1520? I really like these clothing styles (though I'm trying to
                get some help from the garb group to see if I am even dealing with
                realistic garb) but I want a good reason to be wearing it all. Is
                that silly? If not, what would you recommend to start with for garb?
                I really need to start working on it as I have my first event (and a
                big one) in three weeks! >>>

                Which is the clothing that interests you? That of the Basques? Or that
                of Flanders?

                After being in a new area, I imagine folks would tend to adopt
                clothing closer to what the folks around them were wearing.

                Unfortunately, or maybe not depending on what you seek, Basque
                personas are little done in the SCA. I do have these two, short,
                files in the CULTURES section of the Florilegium which might be of use:
                Basques-bib (16K) 9/14/01 A Basque biblio. by Senhora Ester Mendes.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Basques-bib.html

                Basques-msg (28K) 4/29/06 Basque culture, language, names, clothing.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Basques-msg.html

                And on Flanders, at least I think this is where Flanders is:
                Low-Countries-msg (27K) 11/23/99 Medieval Netherlands and Belgium.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Low-Countries-msg.html

                For your first few events, I would say don't get caught up in finding
                perfect, period garb. See if you like us and our activities first and
                find out whether it is for you, then you can work on refining things.
                Either just find something that is 'generic' medieval or borrow
                something if you need to. Many local groups maintain chests of loaner
                clothes for newcomers. After all the minimum is to just make an
                attempt at medieval clothing. I will also say from some personal
                experiences, if you show up in great, authentic clothing, folks may
                assume you have already been in the Society for a number of years and
                may not think to bring you into local customs and activities.

                If you haven't, I'd also recommend you take a look at the files in the
                NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium.

                Stefan

                --------