Re: [SCA Newcomers] A&S questions was: Local Arts & Sciences Officer

  • Alison Choyce
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2005
      Debbie said:

      <<So how do I properly document a 3-dimensional object? My budget doesn't
      extend to the collection of Medieval artifacts. >>

      <g> I'm smiling, it doesn't for most of us, nor are we expected to keep museum's in our homes. You look at pictures of the actaul item, you read descriptions of it. You use secondary sources, which are VERY acceptable. Your library may cantain books on these subjects, or may be able to help you access inter-library loan programs. Do web serches for what you are looking for. And when you are at events that have A & S displays or competitions, look at the documentation that other people use, you may get ideas for sources. Secondary is good for sources because the great majority of us do not have access to extant objects. Just try to be aware of what tertiary sources are, because they can be unreliable, particularly the Victorian ones.

      <<I don't work for a museum or other archival collection. The one occasion I got to see a museum
      exhibit of Etruscan jewelry was memorable for both myself and the museum in
      that I caused traffic snarls in the exhibition room, left nose prints over
      all the cases, set off every proximity alarm they had and finally ended up
      with a personal security guard trailing dh and I as we compared
      notes. ("Oh look, the third-outermost row of all the brooches is always
      "X"s!")>>

      LOL, you truly belong in the SCA!

      Take care,
      Alison Wodehalle