Re: [SCA Newcomers] Kingdoms?

  • melissa carter
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 21 5:55 AM
      Welcome! I too am newish (less than a year) and I live in the Barony
      of Loch Soilleir in the Kingdom of Ansteorra! This is a very helpful
      group and you'll learn a lot here!

      Hedwig zum Zuckerbar

      On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:36:32 -0000, kaysa_bjornsdottir
      <toronto_maple_leafs_fan82@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone, I'm new and I'm just wondering if all of you are part
      > of the SCA and what kingdoms you're all from.
      >
      > I'm from the Shire of Starleaf Gate in the Midrealm.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Milica of Varna
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 21 8:16 AM
        On Sunday 20 March 2005 15:36, kaysa_bjornsdottir wrote:
        > Hi everyone, I'm new and I'm just wondering if all of you are part
        > of the SCA and what kingdoms you're all from.
        >
        > I'm from the Shire of Starleaf Gate in the Midrealm.

        Greetings and welcome!

        Milica
        Marche of Alderford
        Barony of Brendoken, Midrealm

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 21 8:30 AM
          kaysa_bjornsdottir wrote:

          > Hi everyone, I'm new and I'm just wondering if all of you are part
          > of the SCA and what kingdoms you're all from.
          >
          > I'm from the Shire of Starleaf Gate in the Midrealm.

          Shire Greyhope, Midrealm, here. :) Although we don't play with them much
          anymore, for a variety of reasons. :)

          Fiora Soranzo

        • Elsa
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 21 1:42 PM
            I am also a newcomer. I am as of yet lacking a persona. I reside in
            Lyonsmarche in Antir. Moscow, Idaho mundanely.

            Elsa
          • scraps
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 21 1:47 PM
              I'm curious, how do you handle the multiple-persona-complex lol Do you just
              decide which you want to be at a given event and dress and act the part?
              What does this do to the people who know you as one and not the other?

              Jenn/Etain
              (12th century Irish in the Shire of Oldenfeld, Trimaris [tallahassee, fl])

              on 3/21/05 4:55 PM, Marco and Jitka Sainte at sainte1@... wrote:

              By the way, don't worry overmuch about personas... I've got at least 3,
              and more keep popping up all the time. Follow your interests and let
              that guide you in your choice of persona. :)

              Of course, I haven't introduced all of them yet, nor are they all garbed
              yet. :)

              Fiora/Aminah/Marie/Jitka

            • Marco and Jitka Sainte
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 21 1:55 PM

                --
                Get Firefox! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=71676&t=84>

                Get Thunderbird! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=71676&t=178>

              • Isíbéal inghean Chorcráin
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 21 3:25 PM
                  Isíbéal inghean Chorcráin here, from the Barony of Stormhold in the
                  Kingdom of Lochac (Mundanely I live in Melbourne, Australia). Been
                  involved about 4 months now, loving it :)

                  In service,

                  Isíbéal
                  --
                  Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

                  kaysa_bjornsdottir said:

                  > Hi everyone, I'm new and I'm just wondering if all of you are part
                  > of the SCA and what kingdoms you're all from.
                  >
                  > I'm from the Shire of Starleaf Gate in the Midrealm.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Matt Snapp
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 22 7:35 AM
                    I am Henri deBraci (Mundanely Known As Matthew Snapp), a 13th c.
                    Norman in the Barony of Bjornsborg, Ansteorra (San Antonio, TX). I
                    also suffer from MPD (Multiple Persona Disorder). I am a returning
                    Scadian.

                    Welcome to the Society.

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, scraps <scrapsoflife@e...> wrote:

                    > I'm curious, how do you handle the multiple-persona-complex lol Do
                    you just
                    > decide which you want to be at a given event and dress and act the
                    part?
                    > What does this do to the people who know you as one and not the
                    other?

                    > Jenn/Etain
                    > (12th century Irish in the Shire of Oldenfeld, Trimaris
                    [tallahassee, fl])

                    > on 3/21/05 4:55 PM, Marco and Jitka Sainte at sainte1@s... wrote:
                    >
                    > By the way, don't worry overmuch about personas... I've got at
                    least 3,
                    > and more keep popping up all the time. Follow your interests and let
                    > that guide you in your choice of persona. :)
                    >
                    > Of course, I haven't introduced all of them yet, nor are they all
                    garbed
                    > yet. :)
                    >
                    > Fiora/Aminah/Marie/Jitka

                  • scraps
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 22 10:37 AM
                      Not at all, you answered exactly what I asked :)

                      Jenn/Etain

                      on 3/22/05 1:40 PM, Marco and Jitka Sainte at sainte1@... wrote:

                      Sorry for not being more helpful. :)

                      Fiora

                    • Marco and Jitka Sainte
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 22 10:40 AM
                        scraps wrote:

                        > I'm curious, how do you handle the multiple-persona-complex lol Do you
                        > just
                        > decide which you want to be at a given event and dress and act the part?
                        > What does this do to the people who know you as one and not the other?
                        >
                        > Jenn/Etain
                        > (12th century Irish in the Shire of Oldenfeld, Trimaris [tallahassee, fl])
                        >
                        > on 3/21/05 4:55 PM, Marco and Jitka Sainte at sainte1@... wrote:
                        >
                        > By the way, don't worry overmuch about personas... I've got at least 3,
                        > and more keep popping up all the time. Follow your interests and let
                        > that guide you in your choice of persona. :)
                        >
                        > Of course, I haven't introduced all of them yet, nor are they all garbed
                        > yet. :)
                        >
                        > Fiora/Aminah/Marie/Jitka

                        Well, like I said, I haven't introduced them all yet, nor are they all
                        clothed. The names are mostly to keep things straight in my head, and
                        because I really like names. :) I'm still trying to decide whether I
                        should just keep one name and just dress different (which is probably
                        what I'll do) or go all out and change names with dress. Since I don't
                        manage to get to many events anyway, it's kind of a moot point at this time.

                        Also, one of those is my nickname, and one is the SCA name people know
                        me as. I answer to those two already. And one is my middle name, and one
                        is one I just like.

                        Sorry for not being more helpful. :)

                        Fiora

                        --
                        Get Firefox! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=71676&t=84>

                        Get Thunderbird! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=71676&t=178>

                      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 22 10:53 AM
                          On Tuesday 22 March 2005 13:40, Marco and Jitka Sainte wrote:
                          > The names are mostly to keep things straight in my head, and
                          > because I really like names.

                          At some point, I will just *have* to do an alternative persona. His name
                          will be "Duct the Ubiquitous". :-P

                          keys fesswise reversed sable.

                        • Stefan li Rous
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 13, 2011
                            Angela asked:
                            <<< Will I really need to be completely tied down to a single place and time? Does it have to be connected to the things I do? Am I going to be limited because of liking the longbow? Thank you for the links I will take a look at them. >>>

                            There are a lot of different opinions about what a persona is and what it should be, or even whether you need one at all.

                            In general personas seem to be stronger to the east and less so in the west, such as the Kingdom of the West. One of the differences that makes up SCA Sociology.

                            Some people after twenty years can sum up their persona in a paragraph or two (me :-( ). On the other hand there is a rather prestigious award in my kingdom of Ansteorra awarded for outstanding persona play.

                            Here is central Ansteorra (ie, central, southern Texas) it can get rather warm in summer. Have I mentioned that most events in Ansteorra are outside camping events? So many people have a regular persona and a summer persona, often one based on someone in the Middle East.

                            One of the big reasons for a persona is simply to allow you to spend time researching a specific time and place and to avoid showing up at an event in say, shoes from 12th C. France, a hat from ninth C. Russia, hosen from the Elizabethan court and tunic from the Byzantine 11th C.

                            I guess you could create an odd, unusual, highly improbable 'persona story' detailing how this came to be, but a "persona" is much more than an elaborate story. How often in real life do you meet someone for the first time and start spilling out some complicated biography and life story to them?

                            I happen to ascribe to much of what Master Cariadoc says about persona.

                            persona-art (14K) 11/12/96 An article on persona by Duke Cariadoc.
                            http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/persona-art.html

                            But as well as his article you can find a lot of other opinions and suggestions for personas in the PERSONA section of the Florilegium such as:
                            Barbrn-Persona-art (9K) 2/18/05 "Barbarian Personae" by Baron Hrolf Herjolfssen.
                            http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Barbrn-Persona-art.html

                            Easy-Persona-art (12K) 12/26/00 "An Easy Way to Create a Persona in the SCA" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
                            http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Easy-Persona-art.html

                            Persona-f-Beg-art (12K) 1/13/02 "Creating Your SCA Persona for Beginners" by Lady Lucia Borromeo.
                            http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Persona-f-Beg-art.html

                            I particularly like some of the persona ideas given in this file. We have an overabundance of some personas in the SCA and almost none of others. If you went by the personas in the SCA, you'd think all the Norse got picked up and carried off by aliens when the Viking Age ended. Or that there must have been a gigantic, huge increase in human fertility in the late 16th Century.

                            Som-Per-Ideas-art (16K) 12/31/02 "Some Persona Ideas" by HL Elaine de Montgris (known as 'Lainie).
                            http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Scot-fem-nam-lst.html

                            I have fought SCA rapier combat using my 1150s Anglo-Norman persona. It took some special modifications to make a rapier legal T-tunic but it can be done. The justification?, not that it is required or needed, All of us were living in our original places and times when *poof* something happened and we found ourselves in the Laurel Kingdoms. Rapier was something I learned after arriving here. It wasn't something I learned in 12th C York. And if you've ever seen me on the field, you would *know* I haven't been doing it all my life. :-)

                            Stefan
                            --------