firepit question

  • Elsa
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2005
      I am new to the SCA. In fact I just paid for my first membership. I
      have camped at a couple of events though. Well, getting on to my
      question. Most places in my area require a firepit that is at least
      8 inches off of the ground. When I camped last time I used a small
      kettle type grill to hold the fire. It does not look period at all.
      What can I do besides pay $100+ for a period firepit? What have you
      done or have seen others do?

      Thank you

      Elsa
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 17, 2005
        On Thursday 17 March 2005 03:09, Elsa wrote:
        > Most places in my area require a firepit that is at least
        > 8 inches off of the ground. When I camped last time I used a small
        > kettle type grill to hold the fire. It does not look period at all.
        > What can I do besides pay $100+ for a period firepit? What have you
        > done or have seen others do?

        Good morning, and welcome to the list. I've removed the "moderation" status
        on your account, so your future posts will go right through. :-)

        My wife and I have a circular above-ground fire dish that is made of
        ceramic-coated steel, and is flat black finish. It's not strictly period,
        of course, because a sheet of metal that size would have been really
        expensive in period, but it looks basically like a round "buckler" shield,
        and it's black like ironwork, so it's not jarringly modern. It was about
        $50 at our local Bed Bath & Beyond store.

        One member of our household, though, had an even better bargain. He got a
        dish of similar size and shape to ours for something like $10. How? He went
        to his local Goodwill thrift shop and found an obsolete satellite dish,
        took off and threw away the useless center waveguide/preamp assembly, and
        kept the dish. It's black, very durable, and he can prop it off the ground
        on three firebricks or on three wrought-iron doohickies (I have no idea what
        they were originally) that he also bought at Goodwill for practically nothing.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Scarlett
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 17, 2005
          Well, welcome to the SCA. Where are you located? I'm the Hospialer for the Shire of Gate's Edge and the Barony of the Stargate in the Houston, TX area. I'm sure you aren't around here, but if I can help with anything please feel free to email me at scarlettmb@....

          As for the firepit ... I was going to recommend the same type that Justin suggested. I don't have one ... yet, but plan to get one. I haven't done much camping until recently.

          And Justin, tell your friend Great Buy!!! We SCAers are always looking for the best buy on pretty much everything. Also good buy on your firedish - those things are like $80 and above here in Houston.

          Anyway, to our newcomer, welcome to the SCA and have fun. Remember, it's a game. Have fun with it and don't stress out over the small stuff. And again, if you need anything, shoot me an email or contact your local hospitaler.

          Lady Elizabetta "Maria" de Medici
          Maria Buchanan
          Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
          Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
          281-433-0347
          I am new to the SCA. In fact I just paid for my first membership. I
          have camped at a couple of events though. Well, getting on to my
          question. Most places in my area require a firepit that is at least
          8 inches off of the ground. When I camped last time I used a small
          kettle type grill to hold the fire. It does not look period at all.
          What can I do besides pay $100+ for a period firepit? What have you
          done or have seen others do?

          Thank you

          Elsa

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 17, 2005
            On Thursday 17 March 2005 12:27, Scarlett wrote:
            > And Justin, tell your friend Great Buy!!!

            {GRIN} My friend Undewyn is Scottish, with *all* that that implies!

            Actually, all kidding aside, going to Scotland with him and his wife a few
            years ago was great fun. He is of the clan Maccuswell and can trace his direct
            ancestry back to the lords of Caerlaverock Castle in southwestern Scotland.
            We got to visit the castle, one of the few that actually has a wet moat. (No
            matter what you see in King Arthur movies, not many surviving castles have a
            moat in the Hollywood sense of the word.) It's triangular, too -- a really
            interesting place.

            Since it was off-season for tourism, and since he was of clan descent, the
            caretakers kindly let us play around the ruins all afternoon, totally
            unsupervised. We had a great time! When it came time to close up for the
            evening, the lady in charge handed Undewyn the giant medieval-sized key and
            let him lock up the front gates, just as his ancestors did in the Middle Ages.

            Here's a page with info and lots of photos:

            http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/dumfries/caerlaverock/

            keys fesswise reversed sable.