Re: [SCA Newcomers] Camping advice

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 13, 2005
      If you plan on camping some without the whole family,
      the two tents would be better because it's not easy to
      set up a huge tent by yourself.
      If you can, go through the messages on the group
      site...we've discussed camping a ton...usually camping
      or tents is in the subject, so read those...lots of
      good info there.
      The biggest thing I'd suggest is if you're family
      hasn't camped before, do a test run or two in the back
      yard or at a local park that allows camping so
      everyone can get used to setting up and how things
      work.
      -Janet

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
    • Sean OBrien
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 14, 2005
        I bought a tent from WalMart for my first time out. The only complaint I have is that it is too small to stand up in. Trying to get dressed, sitting down is a pain in the fanny. Since you have kids I would suggest that find one with 3 compartments. They make a tent sectional of sorts that has a larger tent in the middle with two smaller tents attached on each side. There is a walkway from each smaller tent into the larger compartment. Only way in or out of the tent sectional is through the larger of the tents. I have seen some like this at Walmart that is cheaper than Coleman, one of the most popular brands. I have never had any leakage or other problems with the wally world tent I bought. I just wish I could stand up in it. I'll be looking for a larger one next year. Welcome and enjoy the fun!

        Merry part,
        Aodh O'Hoolighan
        m.k.a. Susan

        CleKHD <CleKHD@...> wrote:

        Being new, I have never camped at an SCA event before but there are
        several on my agenda coming up in the coming months. Some advice
        please.

        I know pavillions are the best way to got but I can't afford that yet
        so what brand of regular tent would you recommend. Locally there is
        an 11 x 13 Coleman Dome "the Outsider" its called on sale for $80.
        Looks like a good deal and though it says sleeps 6 I would say with
        gear 2-3.

        I will be going to some events solo and some with my family of 5. I
        was thinking 2 tents would be better than 1 huge one with the 2 older
        ones in 1 tent and my wife and I and the youngest one in the other.
        If you have camped with a family please offer some advice.

        Also except for me this will be the first camping for the rest of
        them. So any advice will be welcome.

        Thank you,

        Kevin

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 14, 2005
          On Monday 14 March 2005 10:15, Sean OBrien wrote:
          > They make a tent sectional of sorts that has a larger tent in the middle with
          > two smaller tents attached on each side.  There is a walkway from each smaller
          > tent into the larger compartment.

          Hehe! Yeah, those are colloquially referred to as "Habitrail tents". {GRIN}

          A member of my household has one of those, a really large one. I couldn't
          resist writing a filksong about it. ;-)

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Sean OBrien
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 14, 2005
            That was cute! I had to read it twice to get it. Ha!

            Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:On Monday 14 March 2005 10:15, Sean OBrien wrote:
            > They make a tent sectional of sorts that has a larger tent in the middle with
            > two smaller tents attached on each side. There is a walkway from each smaller
            > tent into the larger compartment.

            Hehe! Yeah, those are colloquially referred to as "Habitrail tents". {GRIN}

            A member of my household has one of those, a really large one. I couldn't
            resist writing a filksong about it. ;-)

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Dee Hudson
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 14, 2005
              I think we have the same tent. No leakage but as my
              mother and I have personas that our upper middle class
              in the Elizabethan era we find it VERY difficult to
              get into a farthingale when we can't stand up. We
              also going to get a larger tent if the Wally world we
              work at will ever get it back in stock. It keeps
              selling out too fast. I think the brand that you are
              all thinking of is Ozark Trail. Rumur has it is made
              by coleman but I'm not sure if that is true.
              --- Sean OBrien <ohoolighanofnorthkeep@...>

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Veronica Young
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 14, 2005
                Yes Ozark Trail is a coleman brand, but its also slightly better quality
                than normal colemans...its a step up but not quite the uber REI/Sporting
                goods store tents. I would definatly recomend a tent for SCA use that
                is large enough to stand up in. I have 2 different tents one for
                backpacking and biking and another for SCA/car camping use. The SCA
                on is quite large.... on another note My parents also had 3 kids, I'm
                the youngest. They' had two tents and once I hit about 7 I was in with
                my older siblings, at about 10 I got my own tent mostly because my
                siblings by that time had their own tents and were out of the house.
                :)

                Veronica

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 15, 2005
                  On Tuesday 15 March 2005 01:27, Veronica Young wrote:
                  > I would definatly recomend a tent for SCA use that
                  > is large enough to stand up in.

                  Which brings to mind a related point:

                  If you buy a period tent that has sidewalls (such as a Marquis), they often
                  come in 6 foot or 7 foot heights. Unless both you and your significant other
                  are very short of stature, get the 7 footers. Reasons:

                  1. The drip edge of the roof hangs down typically another 6 inches or so
                  below the height of the sidewalls, ergo, 6 foot sidewalls means anyone
                  over 5'6" height will duck to enter the tent every time.

                  2. There are myriad ways to Hang Your Stuff (TM) off those sidewall poles,
                  if you are clever. That extra foot of height gives you even more storage
                  space in the vertical direction for stuff like garb racks, bookshelves,
                  lantern brackets.... (Yes, we have all this and much more mounted to
                  our sidewall poles on our Pennsic pavilion.) Having your stuff up off
                  the soggy ground is a good thing, and almost anyone who's been to one
                  of the longer camping events (Pennsic, Estrella, etc.) can tell you that
                  there is no such thing as too much storage space in a tent.

                  3. Hot air goes up due to convection. There is a Very Good Reason (TM) why
                  all those old school and government buildings that didn't have A/C have
                  9' or even 12' ceilings.

                  Now, if you and your s.o. are both fairly short of build, the 7 footers may
                  be a bad idea because it's too hard to hang the sidewalls if you can't reach
                  them. But my lady and I are both of average height (around 5'9" or 5'10"),
                  and we have no problem reaching the 7' height to hang the walls.

                  I know for a fact that Panther offers both heights, and I believe most of
                  the others do as well.

                  keys fesswise reversed sable.

                • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 15, 2005
                    Now, if you and your s.o. are both fairly short of build, the 7 footers may
                    be a bad idea because it's too hard to hang the sidewalls if you can't reach
                    them. But my lady and I are both of average height (around 5'9" or 5'10"),
                    and we have no problem reaching the 7' height to hang the walls.

                    I'm about a quarter-inch shy of five feet tall and attend Pennsic alone--I think seven foot walls would be a bad idea for me! lol

                    But even if I am still stuck in a mundane tent, I'm already looking forward to Pennsic this year. That week away from my daily life had an incredible rejuvenating effect on me!

                    Laurensa

                    I know for a fact that Panther offers both heights, and I believe most of
                    the others do as well.

                    keys fesswise reversed sable.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 15, 2005
                      In a message dated 3/13/2005 4:56:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      CleKHD@... writes:

                      <<know pavillions are the best way to got but I can't afford that yet
                      so what brand of regular tent would you recommend. Locally there is
                      an 11 x 13 Coleman Dome "the Outsider" its called on sale for $80.
                      Looks like a good deal and though it says sleeps 6 I would say with
                      gear 2-3. >>

                      I personally prefer the Hilary brand sold by Sears. I've rarely had quality
                      control or leak issues with them, and the few part problems (like a rusted
                      pole that was supposed to slide) were promptly replaced. The zippers go after
                      a while, but that's true for all tents.
                      I also preferred cabin tents to the dome styles, because I felt the cabins
                      had more usable space because the walls were more upright. Look for a tent
                      that has a lot of ventilation area; a mesh area in the roof, well-covered by a
                      fly, makes a huge difference in comfort when it's hot. Tents at SCA events
                      frequently get set up in open fields and other areas of full sun, so enough
                      ventilation to make it bearable to go in to the tent during the day, even if you
                      can't stay in it long, is really essential.

                      <<I will be going to some events solo and some with my family of 5. I
                      was thinking 2 tents would be better than 1 huge one with the 2 older
                      ones in 1 tent and my wife and I and the youngest one in the other.
                      If you have camped with a family please offer some advice.>>

                      I think two tents is an excellent idea. We're years away from that, as my
                      son is only 7 weeks old, but we have friends who do this very successfully
                      with a 6 year old in their tent and the teenagers in another one next door. It
                      also gives the older kids some privacy so they aren't right under Mom and
                      Dad's noses all the time and can do their own thing.

                      Lancaster, PA

                    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 15, 2005
                        On Tuesday 15 March 2005 10:17, Dianne & Greg Stucki wrote:
                        > I'm about a quarter-inch shy of five feet tall and attend Pennsic
                        > alone--I think seven foot walls would be a bad idea for me! lol

                        Unless your knuckles drag the ground because of your arms being so long...
                        yeah, the seven footers are probably not for you. :-)

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 15, 2005
                          On Tuesday 15 March 2005 10:17, Dianne & Greg Stucki wrote:
                          > I'm about a quarter-inch shy of five feet tall and attend Pennsic
                          > alone--I think seven foot walls would be a bad idea for me! lol

                          Unless your knuckles drag the ground because of your arms being so long...
                          yeah, the seven footers are probably not for you. :-)

                          Justin>>
                          Grin...the only time I bear a resemblance to a gorilla is if I haven't shaved my legs for a while!!

                          Laurensa

                        • CleKHD
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 15, 2005
                            To everyone,

                            I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice on camping. Thanks
                            for all of the suggestions and opinions, it has been a big help. The
                            2 tent approach will be the way we go. You've also given me some
                            good advice on brands, etc.

                            Thank you,

                            Kevin