Camping advice

  • CleKHD
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2005
      Being new, I have never camped at an SCA event before but there are
      several on my agenda coming up in the coming months. Some advice
      please.

      I know pavillions are the best way to got but I can't afford that yet
      so what brand of regular tent would you recommend. Locally there is
      an 11 x 13 Coleman Dome "the Outsider" its called on sale for $80.
      Looks like a good deal and though it says sleeps 6 I would say with
      gear 2-3.

      I will be going to some events solo and some with my family of 5. I
      was thinking 2 tents would be better than 1 huge one with the 2 older
      ones in 1 tent and my wife and I and the youngest one in the other.
      If you have camped with a family please offer some advice.

      Also except for me this will be the first camping for the rest of
      them. So any advice will be welcome.

      Thank you,

      Kevin
    • Richard Douglas Fowler III
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2005
        I would have to say that the 2 tents is the best bet, specially
        considering that you have 3 kids. Putting the two older ones off on
        there own is a good idea, that is what me and my family did when I was
        younger. Also, if you are at the campsite during the day, you can
        tell the younger one to play in the second tent if you worry of the
        child wandering off. Good brands are the Coleman and Jeep lines for
        the most part. There is a decent brand at the WalMart chain, but I
        don't remember the name right off the top of my head. I remember it's
        like Artic something. Only other suggestion is to ScotchGuard the
        thing quick as possible, since the condensation and rain can and
        probably will leak through an untreated tent.