Re: [SCA Newcomers] help with a name of a place please

  • Korhyl Walker
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
        On Saturday 05 March 2005 17:40, Janet wrote:
        > To my knowledge both forms of "scriptorium" could be
        > correct depending on where it falls in a sentence.
        > Those kooky Romans had different endings for
        > everything depending on exactly its use in the
        > sentence.

        Thanks for the info. I also find it interesting that in Latin you can rearrange
        word order and (often, at least) change the emphasis but not the meaning.
        Bizarre.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Janet
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
          The reason you don't change the meaning of the
          sentence by rearranging the words in a Latin sentence
          is that all the parts of speech have cetain
          endings...a subject noun gets one ending, a possessive
          noun gets another, etc, etc, etc.
          While I was taking Latin several years ago, it was a
          favorite trick of my magistra's to write the words of
          a sentence onto note cards, mix them up and then have
          us translate it. It actually works unless the
          sentences get really complicated. LOL.
          -Janet

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Korhyl Walker
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
            Oops sorry about that blank post :) what about the word Archive. thanks for the info :)

          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
              On Saturday 05 March 2005 19:30, Korhyl Walker wrote:
              > what about the word Archive.

              I'm not sure I understand your question.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:On Saturday 05 March 2005 19:30, Korhyl Walker wrote:
                > what about the word Archive.

                I'm not sure I understand your question.

                Archive how far dos it date back. i am trying to set up a web page for my keep. i was thinking about The Keep Archive. i am setting it up for Arts And Sciences and to halp with picking SCA names. even to help with the right look and armor with patterns and how ot info.