Re: [SCA Newcomers] help with a name of a place please

  • Korhyl Walker
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
      Thank you :) for the info

    • Janet
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
        To my knowledge both forms of "scriptorium" could be
        correct depending on where it falls in a sentence.
        Those kooky Romans had different endings for
        everything depending on exactly its use in the
        sentence.
        -Janet

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
            On Saturday 05 March 2005 17:40, Janet wrote:
            > To my knowledge both forms of "scriptorium" could be
            > correct depending on where it falls in a sentence.
            > Those kooky Romans had different endings for
            > everything depending on exactly its use in the
            > sentence.

            Thanks for the info. I also find it interesting that in Latin you can rearrange
            word order and (often, at least) change the emphasis but not the meaning.
            Bizarre.

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Janet
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
              The reason you don't change the meaning of the
              sentence by rearranging the words in a Latin sentence
              is that all the parts of speech have cetain
              endings...a subject noun gets one ending, a possessive
              noun gets another, etc, etc, etc.
              While I was taking Latin several years ago, it was a
              favorite trick of my magistra's to write the words of
              a sentence onto note cards, mix them up and then have
              us translate it. It actually works unless the
              sentences get really complicated. LOL.
              -Janet

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Korhyl Walker
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                Oops sorry about that blank post :) what about the word Archive. thanks for the info :)

              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                  On Saturday 05 March 2005 19:30, Korhyl Walker wrote:
                  > what about the word Archive.

                  I'm not sure I understand your question.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                    Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:On Saturday 05 March 2005 19:30, Korhyl Walker wrote:
                    > what about the word Archive.

                    I'm not sure I understand your question.

                    Archive how far dos it date back. i am trying to set up a web page for my keep. i was thinking about The Keep Archive. i am setting it up for Arts And Sciences and to halp with picking SCA names. even to help with the right look and armor with patterns and how ot info.