Re: [SCA Newcomers] help with a name of a place please

  • suzanne vaughn
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
      Justin,

      You amaze me with your knowledge of, what seems like, everything.

      Can I barrow some of that brain power?

      Smiles,

      Suzanne

      Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:
      On Friday 04 March 2005 01:37, Korhyl wrote:
      > Is there another Name for a place where books and scrolls are
      > keeped in a keep or castle?

      Library.

      No, I'm not joking. :-) The word "library" descends from the Latin word
      "libraria", meaning "book shop". That word, in turn, is related to the
      Latin "liber", which in early Roman times meant "bark" (used as a writing
      material) and later came to mean "book".

      The word "library" can be documented back into Middle English usage, so it
      is perfectly period for SCA use.

      I have also heard a place where scrolls and books were made or copied
      called a "scriptorium" or "scriptorum" (I think the former is the correct
      Latin grammar, but I have seen both versions in print).

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
        On Friday 04 March 2005 14:48, suzanne vaughn wrote:
        > You amaze me with your knowledge of, what seems like, everything.
        >
        >  Can I barrow some of that brain power?

        Pshaw. I don't know diddly; I just know where to look it up. One of my favorite
        sources is "The Oxford Dictionary of Word Histories".

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Korhyl Walker
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
          Thank you :) for the info

        • Janet
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
            To my knowledge both forms of "scriptorium" could be
            correct depending on where it falls in a sentence.
            Those kooky Romans had different endings for
            everything depending on exactly its use in the
            sentence.
            -Janet

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                On Saturday 05 March 2005 17:40, Janet wrote:
                > To my knowledge both forms of "scriptorium" could be
                > correct depending on where it falls in a sentence.
                > Those kooky Romans had different endings for
                > everything depending on exactly its use in the
                > sentence.

                Thanks for the info. I also find it interesting that in Latin you can rearrange
                word order and (often, at least) change the emphasis but not the meaning.
                Bizarre.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                  The reason you don't change the meaning of the
                  sentence by rearranging the words in a Latin sentence
                  is that all the parts of speech have cetain
                  endings...a subject noun gets one ending, a possessive
                  noun gets another, etc, etc, etc.
                  While I was taking Latin several years ago, it was a
                  favorite trick of my magistra's to write the words of
                  a sentence onto note cards, mix them up and then have
                  us translate it. It actually works unless the
                  sentences get really complicated. LOL.
                  -Janet

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Korhyl Walker
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                    Oops sorry about that blank post :) what about the word Archive. thanks for the info :)

                  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                      On Saturday 05 March 2005 19:30, Korhyl Walker wrote:
                      > what about the word Archive.

                      I'm not sure I understand your question.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                        Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:On Saturday 05 March 2005 19:30, Korhyl Walker wrote:
                        > what about the word Archive.

                        I'm not sure I understand your question.

                        Archive how far dos it date back. i am trying to set up a web page for my keep. i was thinking about The Keep Archive. i am setting it up for Arts And Sciences and to halp with picking SCA names. even to help with the right look and armor with patterns and how ot info.