Re: [SCA Newcomers] help with a name of a place please

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
      On Friday 04 March 2005 01:37, Korhyl wrote:
      > Is there another Name for a place where books and scrolls are
      > keeped in a keep or castle?

      Library.

      No, I'm not joking. :-) The word "library" descends from the Latin word
      "libraria", meaning "book shop". That word, in turn, is related to the
      Latin "liber", which in early Roman times meant "bark" (used as a writing
      material) and later came to mean "book".

      The word "library" can be documented back into Middle English usage, so it
      is perfectly period for SCA use.

      I have also heard a place where scrolls and books were made or copied
      called a "scriptorium" or "scriptorum" (I think the former is the correct
      Latin grammar, but I have seen both versions in print).

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • suzanne vaughn
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
        Justin,

        You amaze me with your knowledge of, what seems like, everything.

        Can I barrow some of that brain power?

        Smiles,

        Suzanne

        Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:
        On Friday 04 March 2005 01:37, Korhyl wrote:
        > Is there another Name for a place where books and scrolls are
        > keeped in a keep or castle?

        Library.

        No, I'm not joking. :-) The word "library" descends from the Latin word
        "libraria", meaning "book shop". That word, in turn, is related to the
        Latin "liber", which in early Roman times meant "bark" (used as a writing
        material) and later came to mean "book".

        The word "library" can be documented back into Middle English usage, so it
        is perfectly period for SCA use.

        I have also heard a place where scrolls and books were made or copied
        called a "scriptorium" or "scriptorum" (I think the former is the correct
        Latin grammar, but I have seen both versions in print).

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
          On Friday 04 March 2005 14:48, suzanne vaughn wrote:
          > You amaze me with your knowledge of, what seems like, everything.
          >
          >  Can I barrow some of that brain power?

          Pshaw. I don't know diddly; I just know where to look it up. One of my favorite
          sources is "The Oxford Dictionary of Word Histories".

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Korhyl Walker
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
            Thank you :) for the info

          • Janet
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
              To my knowledge both forms of "scriptorium" could be
              correct depending on where it falls in a sentence.
              Those kooky Romans had different endings for
              everything depending on exactly its use in the
              sentence.
              -Janet

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                  On Saturday 05 March 2005 17:40, Janet wrote:
                  > To my knowledge both forms of "scriptorium" could be
                  > correct depending on where it falls in a sentence.
                  > Those kooky Romans had different endings for
                  > everything depending on exactly its use in the
                  > sentence.

                  Thanks for the info. I also find it interesting that in Latin you can rearrange
                  word order and (often, at least) change the emphasis but not the meaning.
                  Bizarre.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                    The reason you don't change the meaning of the
                    sentence by rearranging the words in a Latin sentence
                    is that all the parts of speech have cetain
                    endings...a subject noun gets one ending, a possessive
                    noun gets another, etc, etc, etc.
                    While I was taking Latin several years ago, it was a
                    favorite trick of my magistra's to write the words of
                    a sentence onto note cards, mix them up and then have
                    us translate it. It actually works unless the
                    sentences get really complicated. LOL.
                    -Janet

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Korhyl Walker
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                      Oops sorry about that blank post :) what about the word Archive. thanks for the info :)

                    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                        On Saturday 05 March 2005 19:30, Korhyl Walker wrote:
                        > what about the word Archive.

                        I'm not sure I understand your question.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                          Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:On Saturday 05 March 2005 19:30, Korhyl Walker wrote:
                          > what about the word Archive.

                          I'm not sure I understand your question.

                          Archive how far dos it date back. i am trying to set up a web page for my keep. i was thinking about The Keep Archive. i am setting it up for Arts And Sciences and to halp with picking SCA names. even to help with the right look and armor with patterns and how ot info.