Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Newcomer going to Gulf Wars

  • Chryl Maddox
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 12, 2005
      Hi Jim,
      I am working on our ren faire but won't be attending Gulf Wars as there is much to do here and my first time involvement is overwhelming.
      Good luch to you.
      Chryl

      Jim <geoo@...> wrote:

      Greetings back!!

      Was glad to see your post. Made me start looking into it and I think
      now that me and my kids might go. I am hoping its not to late to
      start planning for it. I had told my kids that we would go camping
      for a week in Colorado, but I think they would enjoy this much more.
      Wish I had some answers for your post but I am probly more new than
      you are. =) Hope to meet some great people at Gulf Wars.

      Jim

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "plt339" <pthomas3@c...> wrote:

      > Greetings!
      >
      > I am new to the SCA and have a group of other newcomers attending
      > Gulf Wars. We have 10 people in all. We are in the Kingdom of
      > Atlantia from Bordervale Keep (Augusta, GA). I have not been able
      > find anyone from around here who is going. We would like to know at
      > least one other group of people who are going or be able to ask
      > questions of someone who has been. Like what the camping setup is
      > like, if we don't get there until Thursday morning are we going to
      > be camping way away from everything, can you drive right to your
      > camping area to unload... We have so many questions! Anyone out
      > there willing to help? Yes, I have looked online, endlessly. It
      > would be nice to be able to talk to a real person and not just read
      > on the net.
      >
      > In gratitude,
      >
      > Lady Anna Muerghein
      > House of Mosaic

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      document.write('');

    • Ælfwyn
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 12, 2005
        Alara,

        This is wonderful, wonderful help and ideas. Thank you so much!

        I am mundanely in Evansville, Indiana and very much a part of the local group. I think a group camp out is a wonderful idea. Will suggest it at the next meeting! Thank you!

        --------
        Ælfwyn
        Greetings and welcome,

        I have been to both, all though it was some time back.

        The other folks are right, you need to start out with smaller and shorter camping trips. Before you go and get trapped in a place for a week or more, you need to find out if you handle the primitive camp conditions. While there are plenty of things to take care of you, it is not like home or even a hotel. It is outdoors, so you are subject to the weather more and it is hard to stay clean.
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 12, 2005
          In a message dated 2/12/2005 10:56:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          kathyg@... writes:

          <<The simple garb, made out of cotton broadcloth, packs easier, and is
          wash-and-wear. Before it rains, it is dry and dusty, after a rain storm, it is
          all muddy, so clothes get dirty very quickly. Also, the simple one can be
          washed out, hung up to dry, and then re-used, saving having to pack more garb.>>

          Simple garb made of linen and wool is also very easy to care for, will be
          more comfortable in a variety of weather conditions (especially the cold and wet
          ones), and is a bit more accurate to period than cotton broadcloth. Local
          folks should be able to help you find these fabrics at more affordable
          prices. Yes, they are more expensive than cotton, but I find the extra level of
          comfort makes it worthwhile.
          I expect that you will question my statement that linen and wool are easy to
          care for. Modernly, we are told that these fabrics must be dry cleaned.
          This is not so. Linen runs through a modern washer and dryer very nicely, and
          can be hand-washed and hung out as well, and gets softer and more comfortable
          each time it's washed. Wool can be washed in cold water and line dried,
          especially if you washed the fabric first in hot to shrink it before making the
          garb, but does very well just being hung out to air and having the dried
          dust/mud brushed off with a stiff brush.
          Linen breathes better than any fabric I've ever worn, including cotton, and
          is the best thing to wear in hot humid weather. Tropical weight wools
          breathe well and can be worn even in the summer, while heavier felted wools are
          naturally water resistant and are the best choice for cold, wet events as wool
          keeps you warm even if it gets wet.

          Lancaster, PA

        • plt339
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 13, 2005
            Kathy and All,

            Thank you all so much for your responses!!! What a great exchange of
            information we've started. I've gotten some great answers from some
            very nice people.

            Our small group of people have been meeting on weekends to try our
            hand at cooking in our new dutch ovens over coals and starting fires
            in our new clay fire pit. The cooking has gone absolutely
            wonderfully. We made some terrific rosemary new potatoes in one pot
            and some really yummy portabella mushrooms, shallots and garlic in
            another pot stacked on top. We cheated on the filets and used a gas
            grill (but we did successfully cook a boston butt (pork roast) in
            the cast iron dutch oven last weekend - it was fall apart tender).

            Unfortunately, we're not having nearly as much luck getting a fire
            to start in the fire pit. We might be cold but we'll eat well! LOL.
            We finally decided to try one of those "fake" logs. They burn hotter
            so we were worried about cracking the pit but it did really fine.

            Next weekend we are going camping overnight in our tents about an
            hour from home and we'll make a list of everything we left that
            we've just got to have. I think we're on the right track but if we
            get to Gulf Wars and we're missing something, we figure we can
            either buy it there or we don't really need it (unless of course
            we've left one of the kids behind :-) ).

            Good luck to everyone else who is new to this like us. We're right
            there with you!

            Anna Muerghein
            House of Mosaic

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Greer" <kathyg@h...>
            wrote:
            > Greetings and welcome,
            >
            > I have been to both, all though it was some time back.
            >
            > The other folks are right, you need to start out with smaller and
            shorter camping trips. Before you go and get trapped in a place for
            a week or more, you need to find out if you handle the primitive
            camp conditions. While there are plenty of things to take care of
            you, it is not like home or even a hotel. It is outdoors, so you
            are subject to the weather more and it is hard to stay clean.

            > Gulf Wars is running about 3,000 to 4,000 in attendance. It is in
            March, basically, on the Gulf coast. This means that it is early
            spring, so the temperatures are generally mild, but can swing up and
            down on the rare chance. Being in the south, and on the coast, it
            is always subject to fronts, therefore, rain. As for shopping, it
            is just over a 100 merchants to fulfill your needs. The whole thing
            is just for less than a week, most folks just do a long 3-day or 4-
            day weekend.

            > Pensic is running about 11,000 in attendance now. It is in
            August, up north, and more inland. It is generally hotter,
            therefore, they get summer thunderstorms ( wind damage ), and
            possibly some general rain. I think they are running over 400
            merchants now. You can get anything that is related to SCA there.
            While it is a two-week event, most just come for the last week of
            it, or make a long weekend of it too. With this many folks in one
            place, it makes it interesting to see a small tent "city". This has
            more people than most small towns.

            > Board Raids is about 2,000 in attendance, I think, I am not sure.
            It is held at a camp ground on a military base in Kentucky. This
            means that if there is another terrorist attack while you are there,
            the U.S. Army will close the base and you will have 30 minutes to
            leave. You will just have to leave your stuff behind till they open
            the base again. It is held in June, just as the heat of summer is
            starting, so it is very hot, and strong and windy thunderstorms. It
            is short, just a regular weekend. Maybe 20 or 30 or so merchants
            show up there.

            > If you have never camped, then I suggest the following steps. Get
            your tent, equipment and supplies and try setting up camp in your
            yard. Setting up a tent ( and camp ) for the first time can take a
            lot of time for the first time or two cycles. Do it at home so that
            you will know how and what you will need. This is so that when you
            get to the event, you will not spend a lot of your time just setting
            up the tent and camp. When you have the camp set up in your yard,
            stay in it overnight as if you were camping. You will see what all
            you need. The next step would be to go to a local campground or
            national park and try it.

            > Call on some of the local SCA folks to come and camp with you in
            your yard and show you how to set up camp. They can go with you to
            the national park too. Make it like a relaxed cook-out party. Have
            fun with it!

            > As for garb at any of then, I general go with the simpler stuff.
            Leave the fancy stuff at home. The simple garb, made out of cotton
            broadcloth, packs easier, and is wash-and-wear. Before it rains, it
            is dry and dusty, after a rain storm, it is all muddy, so clothes
            get dirty very quickly. Also, the simple one can be washed out,
            hung up to dry, and then re-used, saving having to pack more garb.

            > Where are you located? Have you been in contact with your local
            group?

            > Email me if you have more questions.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > In service to the Dream,
            >
            > Alara MacGregor
            > (Kathy Greer)

            Time,
            > aelfwyn@g... writes:
            >
            > <<Good Day Lady!
            >
            > What say you about Gulf Wars compared to Pennsic??
            >
            > I am a camping "virgin" from the Midrealm and my lord wishes to
            go to
            > Pennsic, to which I say, "let's see how I do at Border Raids."
            LOL