Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hardened Leather Armor

  • Marco and Jitka Sainte
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12, 2005
      Indagoss wrote:

      > So.....has anyone out there tried their hand at creating a battle
      > suit out of wax hardened leather? I've read some interesting bits
      > about this type of battle armor and have started to gather the
      > supplies to put a suit together (helmet not withstanding of course).
      >
      > Just wondering if anyone has any pointers.

      This is my standard reply to hardened leather inquiries... :)

      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/perfect_armor.html
      http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/Perfect_Armor_Improved.htm

      When I get a chance, I fully intend to try this... :) The above are two
      articles in Duke Cariadoc's Miscellany about hardened leather... I
      believe the first is about wax-hardened leather, the second water-hardened.

      Fiora

    • Indagoss
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2005
        > This is my standard reply to hardened leather inquiries... :)
        >
        > http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/perfect_armor.html

        http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/Perfect_Armor_Improved
        .htm

        > When I get a chance, I fully intend to try this... :) The above are
        two
        > articles in Duke Cariadoc's Miscellany about hardened leather... I
        > believe the first is about wax-hardened leather, the second water-
        hardened.

        > Fiora

        Great site thanks.....

        Have you or any others out there had any success with keeping any
        sort of tooling on hardened leather....and if so what method seems to
        work the best for keeping the depth of the work from fading too much?
        I worry about thinning the leather too much with my designs and
        having it become a weak spot in the piece.

        Indagoss
      • Marco and Jitka Sainte
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 16, 2005
          Indagoss wrote:

          > > This is my standard reply to hardened leather inquiries... :)
          > >
          > > http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/perfect_armor.html
          > <http://www.pbm.com/%7Elindahl/cariadoc/perfect_armor.html>
          > >
          > http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/Perfect_Armor_Improved
          > .htm
          > >
          > > When I get a chance, I fully intend to try this... :) The above are
          > two
          > > articles in Duke Cariadoc's Miscellany about hardened leather... I
          > > believe the first is about wax-hardened leather, the second water-
          > hardened.
          > >
          > > Fiora
          > >
          > Great site thanks.....
          >
          > Have you or any others out there had any success with keeping any
          > sort of tooling on hardened leather....and if so what method seems to
          > work the best for keeping the depth of the work from fading too much?
          > I worry about thinning the leather too much with my designs and
          > having it become a weak spot in the piece.
          >
          > Indagoss

          I haven't actually tried any of the techniques offered, due to lack of
          money for leather. But from what I understand from the water-hardened
          page, tooling is probably best done either right after the leather
          dries. I could be wrong.

          Also, if you're doing water-hardened (the only page where the
          information migrated into my long-term, if usually faulty, memory), the
          leather is going to shrink, possibly unevenly, so your designs may not
          look quite right afterwards. They'll defintely be smaller. :)

          Sorry for the post of non-helpfulness. I just have no practical
          experience yet.

          YIS,
          Fiora

        • Indagoss
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 17, 2005
            Well I think its been helpful. I think I will keep a photo log and
            journal of my experience with crafting hardened leather (think I'm
            going to go with wax hardened) and keep everyone posted. That way we
            can all learn how it really works.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 17, 2005
              Indagoss wrote:

              > Well I think its been helpful. I think I will keep a photo log and
              > journal of my experience with crafting hardened leather (think I'm
              > going to go with wax hardened) and keep everyone posted. That way we
              > can all learn how it really works.
              >
              > Indagoss
              >

              > > I haven't actually tried any of the techniques offered, due to lack
              > of
              > > money for leather. But from what I understand from the water-
              > hardened
              > > page, tooling is probably best done either right after the leather
              > > dries. I could be wrong.
              > >
              > > Also, if you're doing water-hardened (the only page where the
              > > information migrated into my long-term, if usually faulty, memory),
              > the
              > > leather is going to shrink, possibly unevenly, so your designs may
              > not
              > > look quite right afterwards. They'll defintely be smaller. :)
              > >
              > > Sorry for the post of non-helpfulness. I just have no practical
              > > experience yet.
              > >
              > > YIS,
              > > Fiora

              Oh, please do! I very much want to work on this, as soon as we get some
              money, but I'm always willing to learn vicariously. :)

              YIS,
              Fiora