Newcomer going to Gulf Wars

  • plt339
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
      Greetings!

      I am new to the SCA and have a group of other newcomers attending
      Gulf Wars. We have 10 people in all. We are in the Kingdom of
      Atlantia from Bordervale Keep (Augusta, GA). I have not been able to
      find anyone from around here who is going. We would like to know at
      least one other group of people who are going or be able to ask
      questions of someone who has been. Like what the camping setup is
      like, if we don't get there until Thursday morning are we going to
      be camping way away from everything, can you drive right to your
      camping area to unload... We have so many questions! Anyone out
      there willing to help? Yes, I have looked online, endlessly. It
      would be nice to be able to talk to a real person and not just read
      on the net.

      In gratitude,

      Lady Anna Muerghein
      House of Mosaic
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
        Good news / Bad news.

        Atlantia usually brings a pretty good sized group with them to Gulf
        Wars. They should have someone in the Kingdom who is handling land
        allocation within their alloted area that you can get a hold of.

        Did you pre-register? If you did, who did say you were camping with?
        Land allocation to the groups is normally based on the pre-
        registrations. You may have to camp in overflow, which is not too
        bad since it is near the new showers, but it is almost at the
        opposite end of the site from most everything.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "plt339" <pthomas3@c...> wrote:

        > Greetings!
        >
        > I am new to the SCA and have a group of other newcomers attending
        > Gulf Wars. We have 10 people in all. We are in the Kingdom of
        > Atlantia from Bordervale Keep (Augusta, GA). I have not been able
        > find anyone from around here who is going. We would like to know at
        > least one other group of people who are going or be able to ask
        > questions of someone who has been. Like what the camping setup is
        > like, if we don't get there until Thursday morning are we going to
        > be camping way away from everything, can you drive right to your
        > camping area to unload... We have so many questions! Anyone out
        > there willing to help? Yes, I have looked online, endlessly. It
        > would be nice to be able to talk to a real person and not just read
        > on the net.
        >
        > In gratitude,
        >
        > Lady Anna Muerghein
        > House of Mosaic
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 10, 2005
          Greetings back!!

          Was glad to see your post. Made me start looking into it and I think
          now that me and my kids might go. I am hoping its not to late to
          start planning for it. I had told my kids that we would go camping
          for a week in Colorado, but I think they would enjoy this much more.
          Wish I had some answers for your post but I am probly more new than
          you are. =) Hope to meet some great people at Gulf Wars.

          Jim

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "plt339" <pthomas3@c...> wrote:

          > Greetings!
          >
          > I am new to the SCA and have a group of other newcomers attending
          > Gulf Wars. We have 10 people in all. We are in the Kingdom of
          > Atlantia from Bordervale Keep (Augusta, GA). I have not been able
          > find anyone from around here who is going. We would like to know at
          > least one other group of people who are going or be able to ask
          > questions of someone who has been. Like what the camping setup is
          > like, if we don't get there until Thursday morning are we going to
          > be camping way away from everything, can you drive right to your
          > camping area to unload... We have so many questions! Anyone out
          > there willing to help? Yes, I have looked online, endlessly. It
          > would be nice to be able to talk to a real person and not just read
          > on the net.
          >
          > In gratitude,
          >
          > Lady Anna Muerghein
          > House of Mosaic
        • Heather Murray
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 10, 2005
            chemistbb3 wrote:

            > Good news / Bad news.
            >
            > Atlantia usually brings a pretty good sized group with them to Gulf
            > Wars. They should have someone in the Kingdom who is handling land
            > allocation within their alloted area that you can get a hold of.
            >
            > Did you pre-register? If you did, who did say you were camping with?
            > Land allocation to the groups is normally based on the pre-
            > registrations. You may have to camp in overflow, which is not too
            > bad since it is near the new showers, but it is almost at the
            > opposite end of the site from most everything.
            >
            > William

            But the good news about the bad news is 1: that area is very near Troll.
            2: You *can* park near your campsite to offload for 2 or 3 hours; after
            that, you need to move it or be subject to towing - and they *have*
            towed folks before 3: The new showers are *much* nicer than the older
            ones 4: It's not as far as all that - receives twice daily site cries,
            f'r example - unless you have a handicap that restricts your mobility,
            in which case there *is* general handicap camping to ask for. 5: You're
            still at Gulf Wars, the friendliest little war there ever was.

            The general rule there is that there are no ground fires. This means
            that you can dig a hole to refill (and you *must* refill it), or bring a
            tripod. Use of open flame is permissible, but requires constant
            supervision of the flame. They will have folks walking/riding around
            whose job it is to make sure that every open flame has an owner nearby.

            Best rule for Gulf Wars, bring your cloak and your sunscreen. And if
            some one's got metal on their head, give 'em a nod as you walk past.

            And don't touch the dogs and horses without permission.

            Lady Margaret Northwode (oooh, see? the title's still got the shiny on it)
            Meridies

          • Ælfwyn æs Eoforwic
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 10, 2005
              Good Day Lady!

              What say you about Gulf Wars compared to Pennsic??

              I am a camping "virgin" from the Midrealm and my lord wishes to go to
              Pennsic, to which I say, "let's see how I do at Border Raids." LOL

              for the camping ignorant is Gulf Wars environment a bit better??

              Thanks!

              --
              Ælfwyn æs Eoforwic
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 11, 2005
                In a message dated 2/10/2005 11:54:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                aelfwyn@... writes:

                <<Good Day Lady!

                What say you about Gulf Wars compared to Pennsic??

                I am a camping "virgin" from the Midrealm and my lord wishes to go to
                Pennsic, to which I say, "let's see how I do at Border Raids." LOL

                for the camping ignorant is Gulf Wars environment a bit better??>>

                I don't know exactly who this was directed to since you didn't include any
                quotes. I'm afraid I can't give you a comparison between the two as I have
                never been to Gulf Wars. I would love to go, but it falls during the school
                year, both my husband and I work in the public schools, and we don't get paid
                time off other than school holidays.

                However, I think you are very wise to insist on at least one smaller,
                shorter camping event before Pennsic .

                Lancaster, PA

              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 11, 2005
                  On Friday 11 February 2005 09:33, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                  > However, I think you are very wise to insist on at least one smaller,
                  > shorter camping event before Pennsic.

                  Although Pennsic 20 was my very first SCA event. Pennsic 21 was my wife's very
                  first SCA event. So far I've turned into a peer and have served as War
                  Chirurgeon, and Milica has turned into a THL and has served in a Kingdom office.
                  So I guess it's possible to go to Pennsic as your first event and still turn
                  out okay. {BIG GRIN}

                  Don't get me wrong -- in general, I agree with you, Brangwayna, that the best
                  plan is to go to a weekender first. But I wouldn't let lack of prior experience
                  keep someone from going to Pennsic, if a prior weekender couldn't be arranged.

                  keys fesswise reversed sable.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 11, 2005
                    In a message dated 2/11/2005 10:13:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    justin@... writes:

                    <<Although Pennsic 20 was my very first SCA event. Pennsic 21 was my wife's
                    very
                    first SCA event. So far I've turned into a peer and have served as War
                    Chirurgeon, and Milica has turned into a THL and has served in a Kingdom
                    office.
                    So I guess it's possible to go to Pennsic as your first event and still turn
                    out okay. {BIG GRIN}>>

                    Well, Pennsic 18 was my very first SCA event, Justin, and I think I turned
                    out OK, too :-). But I was an experienced camper, and the lady who posted
                    originally has never camped. My response was more to the point of getting some
                    experience with camping at a smaller more local event than it was about
                    attending SCA events.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 11, 2005
                      On Friday 11 February 2005 10:51, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                      > Well, Pennsic 18 was my very first SCA event, Justin, and I think I turned
                      > out OK, too :-).

                      Yeah, I'd say so. :-)

                      > But I was an experienced camper, and the lady who posted
                      > originally has never camped.  My response was more to the point of getting  some
                      > experience with camping at a smaller more local event than it was about
                      > attending SCA events.

                      No argument that in an ideal world, that's the way it should go. I just don't
                      want anyone to skip Pennsic for that reason alone. After all, it's not really
                      "camping" in the sense of what I call camping. Out in the woods they don't
                      have portacastles and running water and a camp store with lots of necessities,
                      including Cooper's Crack (the chocolate milk, for those who don't know...said
                      to be better than any drug on the street).

                      But yes, if there is any way to do so, I'd agree that getting some local-event
                      experience first is highly desirable.

                      keys fesswise reversed sable.

                    • Kathy Greer
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 12, 2005
                        Greetings and welcome,

                        I have been to both, all though it was some time back.

                        The other folks are right, you need to start out with smaller and shorter camping trips. Before you go and get trapped in a place for a week or more, you need to find out if you handle the primitive camp conditions. While there are plenty of things to take care of you, it is not like home or even a hotel. It is outdoors, so you are subject to the weather more and it is hard to stay clean.

                        Gulf Wars is running about 3,000 to 4,000 in attendance. It is in March, basically, on the Gulf coast. This means that it is early spring, so the temperatures are generally mild, but can swing up and down on the rare chance. Being in the south, and on the coast, it is always subject to fronts, therefore, rain. As for shopping, it is just over a 100 merchants to fulfill your needs. The whole thing is just for less than a week, most folks just do a long 3-day or 4-day weekend.

                        Pensic is running about 11,000 in attendance now. It is in August, up north, and more inland. It is generally hotter, therefore, they get summer thunderstorms ( wind damage ), and possibly some general rain. I think they are running over 400 merchants now. You can get anything that is related to SCA there. While it is a two-week event, most just come for the last week of it, or make a long weekend of it too. With this many folks in one place, it makes it interesting to see a small tent "city". This has more people than most small towns.

                        Board Raids is about 2,000 in attendance, I think, I am not sure. It is held at a camp ground on a military base in Kentucky. This means that if there is another terrorist attack while you are there, the U.S. Army will close the base and you will have 30 minutes to leave. You will just have to leave your stuff behind till they open the base again. It is held in June, just as the heat of summer is starting, so it is very hot, and strong and windy thunderstorms. It is short, just a regular weekend. Maybe 20 or 30 or so merchants show up there.

                        If you have never camped, then I suggest the following steps. Get your tent, equipment and supplies and try setting up camp in your yard. Setting up a tent ( and camp ) for the first time can take a lot of time for the first time or two cycles. Do it at home so that you will know how and what you will need. This is so that when you get to the event, you will not spend a lot of your time just setting up the tent and camp. When you have the camp set up in your yard, stay in it overnight as if you were camping. You will see what all you need. The next step would be to go to a local campground or national park and try it.

                        Call on some of the local SCA folks to come and camp with you in your yard and show you how to set up camp. They can go with you to the national park too. Make it like a relaxed cook-out party. Have fun with it!

                        As for garb at any of then, I general go with the simpler stuff. Leave the fancy stuff at home. The simple garb, made out of cotton broadcloth, packs easier, and is wash-and-wear. Before it rains, it is dry and dusty, after a rain storm, it is all muddy, so clothes get dirty very quickly. Also, the simple one can be washed out, hung up to dry, and then re-used, saving having to pack more garb.

                        Where are you located? Have you been in contact with your local group?

                        Email me if you have more questions.

                        Hope this helps.

                        In service to the Dream,

                        Alara MacGregor
                        (Kathy Greer)

                        aelfwyn@... writes:

                        <<Good Day Lady!

                        What say you about Gulf Wars compared to Pennsic??

                        I am a camping "virgin" from the Midrealm and my lord wishes to go to
                        Pennsic, to which I say, "let's see how I do at Border Raids." LOL

                        for the camping ignorant is Gulf Wars environment a bit better??>>

                        I don't know exactly who this was directed to since you didn't include any
                        quotes. I'm afraid I can't give you a comparison between the two as I have
                        never been to Gulf Wars. I would love to go, but it falls during the school
                        year, both my husband and I work in the public schools, and we don't get paid
                        time off other than school holidays.

                        However, I think you are very wise to insist on at least one smaller,
                        shorter camping event before Pennsic .

                        Lancaster, PA

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Janet
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 12, 2005
                          at the very least try camping in the back yard a
                          couple times....it's good to know how to set up the
                          tent, cook, and all that good stuff, or go find a
                          state park nearby that allows camping to try things
                          out....
                          -Janet

                          The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                          http://my.yahoo.com
                        • Chryl Maddox
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 12, 2005
                            Hi Jim,
                            I am working on our ren faire but won't be attending Gulf Wars as there is much to do here and my first time involvement is overwhelming.
                            Good luch to you.
                            Chryl

                            Jim <geoo@...> wrote:

                            Greetings back!!

                            Was glad to see your post. Made me start looking into it and I think
                            now that me and my kids might go. I am hoping its not to late to
                            start planning for it. I had told my kids that we would go camping
                            for a week in Colorado, but I think they would enjoy this much more.
                            Wish I had some answers for your post but I am probly more new than
                            you are. =) Hope to meet some great people at Gulf Wars.

                            Jim

                            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "plt339" <pthomas3@c...> wrote:

                            > Greetings!
                            >
                            > I am new to the SCA and have a group of other newcomers attending
                            > Gulf Wars. We have 10 people in all. We are in the Kingdom of
                            > Atlantia from Bordervale Keep (Augusta, GA). I have not been able
                            > find anyone from around here who is going. We would like to know at
                            > least one other group of people who are going or be able to ask
                            > questions of someone who has been. Like what the camping setup is
                            > like, if we don't get there until Thursday morning are we going to
                            > be camping way away from everything, can you drive right to your
                            > camping area to unload... We have so many questions! Anyone out
                            > there willing to help? Yes, I have looked online, endlessly. It
                            > would be nice to be able to talk to a real person and not just read
                            > on the net.
                            >
                            > In gratitude,
                            >
                            > Lady Anna Muerghein
                            > House of Mosaic

                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                            document.write('');

                          • Ælfwyn
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 12, 2005
                              Alara,

                              This is wonderful, wonderful help and ideas. Thank you so much!

                              I am mundanely in Evansville, Indiana and very much a part of the local group. I think a group camp out is a wonderful idea. Will suggest it at the next meeting! Thank you!

                              --------
                              Ælfwyn

                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 12, 2005
                                In a message dated 2/12/2005 10:56:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                kathyg@... writes:

                                <<The simple garb, made out of cotton broadcloth, packs easier, and is
                                wash-and-wear. Before it rains, it is dry and dusty, after a rain storm, it is
                                all muddy, so clothes get dirty very quickly. Also, the simple one can be
                                washed out, hung up to dry, and then re-used, saving having to pack more garb.>>

                                Simple garb made of linen and wool is also very easy to care for, will be
                                more comfortable in a variety of weather conditions (especially the cold and wet
                                ones), and is a bit more accurate to period than cotton broadcloth. Local
                                folks should be able to help you find these fabrics at more affordable
                                prices. Yes, they are more expensive than cotton, but I find the extra level of
                                comfort makes it worthwhile.
                                I expect that you will question my statement that linen and wool are easy to
                                care for. Modernly, we are told that these fabrics must be dry cleaned.
                                This is not so. Linen runs through a modern washer and dryer very nicely, and
                                can be hand-washed and hung out as well, and gets softer and more comfortable
                                each time it's washed. Wool can be washed in cold water and line dried,
                                especially if you washed the fabric first in hot to shrink it before making the
                                garb, but does very well just being hung out to air and having the dried
                                dust/mud brushed off with a stiff brush.
                                Linen breathes better than any fabric I've ever worn, including cotton, and
                                is the best thing to wear in hot humid weather. Tropical weight wools
                                breathe well and can be worn even in the summer, while heavier felted wools are
                                naturally water resistant and are the best choice for cold, wet events as wool
                                keeps you warm even if it gets wet.

                                Lancaster, PA

                              • plt339
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 13, 2005
                                  Kathy and All,

                                  Thank you all so much for your responses!!! What a great exchange of
                                  information we've started. I've gotten some great answers from some
                                  very nice people.

                                  Our small group of people have been meeting on weekends to try our
                                  hand at cooking in our new dutch ovens over coals and starting fires
                                  in our new clay fire pit. The cooking has gone absolutely
                                  wonderfully. We made some terrific rosemary new potatoes in one pot
                                  and some really yummy portabella mushrooms, shallots and garlic in
                                  another pot stacked on top. We cheated on the filets and used a gas
                                  grill (but we did successfully cook a boston butt (pork roast) in
                                  the cast iron dutch oven last weekend - it was fall apart tender).

                                  Unfortunately, we're not having nearly as much luck getting a fire
                                  to start in the fire pit. We might be cold but we'll eat well! LOL.
                                  We finally decided to try one of those "fake" logs. They burn hotter
                                  so we were worried about cracking the pit but it did really fine.

                                  Next weekend we are going camping overnight in our tents about an
                                  hour from home and we'll make a list of everything we left that
                                  we've just got to have. I think we're on the right track but if we
                                  get to Gulf Wars and we're missing something, we figure we can
                                  either buy it there or we don't really need it (unless of course
                                  we've left one of the kids behind :-) ).

                                  Good luck to everyone else who is new to this like us. We're right
                                  there with you!

                                  Anna Muerghein
                                  House of Mosaic

                                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Greer" <kathyg@h...>