Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: garb fabric

  • Alison Choyce
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2005
      From: HI_it_is_me@...

      << Satin is in fact period to the SCA time frame.>>

      Yes, satin is a period weave.

      <<if it is in fact made of natural fiber (usually silk).>>

      Silk, linen, and wool were all made into satin. Silk makes the prettiest satin. And of course silk dyes into more brilliant colors than you can get with wool or linen.

      <<(I just made a 12th century Frankish style dress out of some great olive green satin
      that I got off a clearance rack at walmart for $1 a yard...and to my
      surprise I think it's actually made from natural fibers since it burns
      instead of melts when it touches flame.) >>

      Sounds like you did well. Your dress must be beautiful in that color. The problem with using polyester or nylon is that 1) you would be uncomfortable wearing it, especially in hot weather. It does not breathe. And 2) it can be dangerous if you are cooking or are sitting close to a campfire, because if it catches fire you are more likely to be injured since it will keep burning. Wool silk and linen do not tend to continue to burn when they are pulled away from the flame. 3) Finally, if it is important to you be as accurate as you can be, then you would want to use what would have been available to your persona. At least to the extent it's available to us.

      Most people prefer not to use cotton in part because it was not commonly used, was more expensive than silk where it was available, and because it is less comfortable to wear than silk or lightweight wool in the heat. But to get good brocades most people overlook those problems and opt for cotton since most re-enactors cannot afford silk brocade, and it is still a natural fiber.

      In service,
      Alison Wodehalle
      Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East Kingdom

    • Jessica Marie
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2005
        Thanks so much to all of you for expanding my fabric knowledge! My fabric
        is now officially dyed, and i'm happy with the result. RIT Dye recommends
        the fabrics 50% or more polyester not be dyed. Does anyone know why? i
        went ahead, though i'm still not sure about the fabric's content. i did
        find an interesting site regarding the burn test:

        http://www.fabriclink.com/Burntest.html

        i'm no scientist; it seems like my fabric could be silk...or acetate...but
        probably just some bizarre blend of man-made fibers.

        So as my overdress is faux silk-satin, could anyone recommend a fabric for
        an underdress? i have some white cotton, which doesn't seem appropriate,
        but if i buy silk, that's a *lot* of sumptuous fabric...and i don't want it
        to 'show-up' my satin overdress. Would linen work? i've gotten mixed
        messages as to whether the underdress was the sole undergarment for a
        cotehardie, so i'm afraid i'm grasping at straws and needing to do a little
        more research. Learning, slowly but surely!

        Blessed be,
        jessica

        "The misuse of language induces evil in the soul."
        -- Socrates

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9, 2005
          <<RIT Dye recommends
          the fabrics 50% or more polyester not be dyed. Does anyone know why? >>

          Quick answer is that polyester isn't created to take dye. Your satin may be rayon which will dye well.