Re: [SCA Newcomers] brand new

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2005
      In a message dated 2/8/2005 10:40:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      mistress_anastasia777@... writes:

      <<I'm brand new to this and i want to go to Pennsic this year but don't
      know where to get garb how to act when i get there or what to do...i
      don't know many people except for some from Urkakele'...Val, Devlin,
      Thor....any help would be appreciated.. it'd be nice to have someone
      to show me around down there...can anyone help me??>>

      As far as where to get garb for Pennsic, you will most likely need to make
      or buy your own. Some group shave loaner clothes but I don;t know if they'll
      loan for something as long as Pennsic - I did once, and I never got the stuff
      back. There are a ton of garb merchants at Pennsic, so you could
      conceivably come with a few sets of your own and buy enough to last you the rest of the
      war if your finances will support it.
      As far as how to act when you get there, behave like a reasonable adult and
      you'll be fine. There's very little playacting or role-playing, but there is
      a lot of immature behavior that gets people into trouble - drinking
      excessively, forgetting to eat or otherwise take care of yourself, etc. As far as
      what to do, there will be a list of classes and activities which are generally
      open to everyone, as well as word of mouth about parties and other gatherings
      that may or may not be open.
      Your best bet right now is to concentrate on getting to know some other peopl
      e who are going and make arrangements to camp or otherwise hang out with
      them when you are there. For your first Pennsic, it is better by far to have
      some experienced Pennsic-goers available to help you out with stuff.

      Lancaster, PA

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2005
        On Tuesday 08 February 2005 13:26, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
        > there will be a list of classes

        And what a list it is! There are well over 1000 classes at each Pennsic in
        recent years.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Alison Choyce
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2005
          Greetings,

          I second all of the good advice you've already received. I would like to add a couple things.

          1) First and most important: do try to camp with a group. They will be there to help you navigate through your first Pennsic

          2) Look at the various packing lists that are available on line. Think about what you like to do, whether you need to cook, how much room you have to pack everything, and make sure you have garb for ALL KINDS OF WEATHER. Then create your own packing list. It is possible to go to a laundromat to wash things BTW.

          3) Read the info at the official Pennsic site. Understand the rules.

          4) There is a newcomer's point at Pennsic.

          5) Understand that not everything you hear about Pennsic is necessarily true. Pennsic is many things to many people, and differing perspectives can make it like something other than what you may experience. It is a camping trip with 11,000 people who all have a "dream." Most of us find it unique and wonderful, and many refer to Pennsic as "home."

          Read as much as you can, prepare well, and have fun!

          Good luck,
          Alison Wodehalle
          Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East Kingdom