Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hellos!

  • jeffnaggie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2005
      In a message dated 2/8/2005 12:41:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, HI_it_is_me@... writes:

      >Wow, I've already made two posts and I haven't even introduced myself
      >(how rude of me). My mundane name is Janet. I'm out here in the Middle
      >Kingdom. If you hadn't guessed by my two posts, I've been around SCA
      >for a while now. I joined this list because I've been having some
      >issues finding good information on ettiquette at events and such. My
      >prime example being the question I've been searching for an answer to
      >most of this morning. I hope someone here may have an answer to it.
      >When one attends a coronation, should you take a gift for the new king
      >and queen. If so any suggestions on what to take.
      >Thanks,
      >Janet

      Greetings Janet,

      Sometimes groups like a shire will get together and make items that a king or queen may be used during their reign, like award badges that will be given out during court, or gifts to give to visiting royalty like period games.

      I've also seen scribes give blank scrolls that may be used during court by their majesties to give to award recipients.

      Mostly the gifts are items that are used for the kingdom as a whole. Gifts from the general populace are not expected. That doesn't mean that you can't give something to their majesties if you feel the need just that it isn't expected.

      Hillary of Langeforde
      Midland's Regional Chatelaine
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2005
        In a message dated 2/8/2005 12:47:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        HI_it_is_me@... writes:

        <<When one attends a coronation, should you take a gift for the new king
        and queen. If so any suggestions on what to take. >>

        Hi, Janet!

        It is not necessary for everyone attending coronation to bring a gift. If
        you know the king and queen personally, or are in some sort of a position
        where you might be part of their court or officers, you could take one, but again
        it is not necessary.
        If you do decide to take one, think of something personal and useful - some
        small notebooks (they always need to write things down and keep track of
        stuff), snack items or things that might make their personal lives a little easier
        while on the throne. They really don't need more cool kingdom-oriented
        knickknacks or that sort of thing.

        Lancaster, PA

      • HI_it_is_me@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2005
          ROFL @ Kingdom related knick-knacks.....that's funny, I bet that kings
          and queens get piles of stuff like that don't they....thanks for all
          the answers.
          Janet
        • Doug Petroshius
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2005
            I recommend going to the kingdom webpage (in your case www.midrealm.org) and
            going to their Royal Majesty's webpage. Often times they will have a
            wishlist of things they would like made for their reign. It's a really good
            place to start.

            ~Gintaras~
            Midrealm
            Midlands
            Ravenslake

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 9, 2005
              Yeah, I went there, except there isn't anything listed except their
              likes and dislikes for food...so only slightly helpful there...it's ok
              though there's still like 2 1/2 months until the coronation so no
              biggie. Thanks though.
              -Janet
            • Megan & Dave
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 9, 2005
                If you need lead time, you can write or email their Highnesses chamberlain, or head retainer for ideas.

                You can find contact information for these gentles at http://houseavalon.case.edu/trh/Default.aspx

                Gwenhyfar Stuart
                Starleaf Gate, Middle.
                Yeah, I went there, except there isn't anything listed except their
                likes and dislikes for food...so only slightly helpful there...it's ok
                though there's still like 2 1/2 months until the coronation so no
                biggie. Thanks though.
                -Janet

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor