Re: [SCA Newcomers] New new new

  • Alison Choyce
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Jim

      <<I live in the Barony of Namron in the Kingdom of Ansteorra. The
      people at the meeting were very nice, although i am pretty shy (I
      kind of blend in to settings). But now what?>>

      Yes, being shy cna make it harder to becaome part of a group. One of the best things you can do is go to meetings where there are smaller numbers of people. I glanced at your Barony's website and saw a regular scheduled Bardic circle, a sewing night, an archery prctice, and a fighter's practice. I would go to some of these meetings. It may fell a little hard to walk in the door initially, but you will get to meet people a few at a time, and then will know some folks when you go to an event. Also for the Event itself the best way to start feeling part of things is to volunteer to help wiht something. The kitchens always need help, and there is always clean-up after the event. When folks are working together, they chat and are freindly. They will explain to you whatever it is you are needed to do, and they will very much appreciate the help.

      <<There are several events coming up for us but I dont know where to
      start with garb, >>

      T-tunics are fine. Many men in my Shire use the cotton Walmart pajama bottoms as leggings until they are able to do something different. The sewing circle should be able to help you do a T-tunic, even if you have never touched needle or thread.

      Also most groups have loaner garb available until folks can put together some new garb of thier own. Your Hospitaller will be able to point you in the right direction.

      <<I dont have a name :( other than my old boring one, >>

      Don't go too fast in choosing a name. You may have to live a long time with your choice. Look around on St gabriel's website http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/. They are researchers of accurate period names.

      <<I have been working on my persona but that is coming along slowly,
      and I am not sure where to start.>>

      Slowly is fine. As you learn and see more, and talk with more people, you will discover the things you are most interested in.

      << My first thought is maybe I should
      get back with the hospitaler. Is that what she is there for? or am I
      incorrect in seeking her help? >>

      Absolutely seek her help. If she cannot answer all your questions, she probably knows who to send you to.

      <<Any advice would be greatly appreciated.>>

      In service,
      Alison Wodehalle
      Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East Kingdom

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
        On Monday 07 February 2005 13:19, Alison Choyce wrote:
        > The kitchens always need help, and there is always clean-up after the
        > event.  When folks are working together, they chat and are freindly.

        An excellent observation. And doing dishes can be a social activity, if
        you approach it with the right attitude and a fun group of people. Want
        to be instantly welcomed by your group? Step in and help sweep floors or
        do dishes after an event. And I've met some of my favorite people in the
        SCA by standing next to them at a sink full of dirty dishwater. Face it --
        you have nothing better to do than to get to know each other, because
        dishes don't take a lot of brainpower. :-) It's not an unpleasant job
        at all, given enough people. "Many hands make light work."

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Sosi
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
          Jim! Hiya! I'm pretty new too.... Dude..get the Knowne World Handbook, it's 16 bucks located here (I couldn't live without it) https://secure.sca.org/cgi-bin/stockclerk/other.html It's true, all the information is on the sca.org site but having alot condensed at your fingertips-or to take with you is..well a plus in my opinion.
          Have fun, and don't get discouraged-ever.

          Sosi
          One's own ear-ring to one's dear friend-Russian proverb
          Well my name is Jim. I am new to SCA, and in fact only been to one
          Populace meeting. Am finding it very difficult to find my way. I
          have had some help from a really nice hospitaler, but still having
          difficulties.

          I live in the Barony of Namron in the Kingdom of Ansteorra. The
          people at the meeting were very nice, although i am pretty shy (I
          kind of blend in to settings). But now what?

          There are several events coming up for us but I dont know where to
          start with garb, I dont have a name :( other than my old boring one,
          I have been working on my persona but that is coming along slowly,
          and I am not sure where to start. My first thought is maybe I should
          get back with the hospitaler. Is that what she is there for? or am I
          incorrect in seeking her help?

          Jim