Re: [SCA Newcomers] New new new

  • jeffnaggie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
      In a message dated 2/7/2005 6:34:24 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Jim" >

      >Hi all
      >
      >Well my name is Jim.  I am new to SCA, and in fact only been to one
      >Populace meeting.  Am finding it very difficult to find my way.  I
      >have had some help from a really nice hospitaler, but still having
      >difficulties.
      >
      >I live in the Barony of Namron in the Kingdom of Ansteorra.  The
      >people at the meeting were very nice, although i am pretty shy (I
      >kind of blend in to settings).  But now what?
      >
      >There are several events coming up for us but I dont know where to
      >start with garb, I dont have a name :( other than my old boring one,
      >I have been working on my persona but that is coming along slowly,
      >and I am not sure where to start.  My first thought is maybe I should
      >get back with the hospitaler.  Is that what she is there for? or am I
      >incorrect in seeking her help?
      >
      >Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      >Jim

      Welcome Jim, Yes, contact your hopitaler. That is exactly what she is there for. They probably have a "gold key" which means garb to loan to new people for their first couple of events. Don't worry about not having items right away. And don't worry about not "finding your way" . One of the most amazing things about the SCA is that there are so many different interests that are pursued. There is a niche for you, it may just take a while for you to find it.

      Is there a geographic location or a time period that you are really interested in? That is a good place to start when searching for a name.
      When you are at a local meeting if you see someone who is working on a project that interests you don't be afraid to ask questions. People who have spent a lot of time researching and practicing an art or a science from the middle ages are usually more than happy to tell others what they have learned.

      Good luck,
      Hillary of Langeforde
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
        In a message dated 2/7/2005 8:45:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, geoo@...
        writes:

        <<There are several events coming up for us but I dont know where to
        start with garb, I dont have a name :( other than my old boring one,
        I have been working on my persona but that is coming along slowly,
        and I am not sure where to start. My first thought is maybe I should
        get back with the hospitaler. Is that what she is there for? or am I
        incorrect in seeking her help?>>

        Getting back with the hospitaler is exactly what you should do; that's what
        she's there for. She can either help you herself or put you in touch with
        people who can help you.
        And you are lucky; "James" is a perfectly good period English name you can
        use until you decide on a persona and find the name you want :-)

        Lancaster, PA

      • Alison Choyce
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
          <<I live in the Barony of Namron in the Kingdom of Ansteorra. The
          people at the meeting were very nice, although i am pretty shy (I
          kind of blend in to settings). But now what?>>

          Yes, being shy cna make it harder to becaome part of a group. One of the best things you can do is go to meetings where there are smaller numbers of people. I glanced at your Barony's website and saw a regular scheduled Bardic circle, a sewing night, an archery prctice, and a fighter's practice. I would go to some of these meetings. It may fell a little hard to walk in the door initially, but you will get to meet people a few at a time, and then will know some folks when you go to an event. Also for the Event itself the best way to start feeling part of things is to volunteer to help wiht something. The kitchens always need help, and there is always clean-up after the event. When folks are working together, they chat and are freindly. They will explain to you whatever it is you are needed to do, and they will very much appreciate the help.

          <<There are several events coming up for us but I dont know where to
          start with garb, >>

          T-tunics are fine. Many men in my Shire use the cotton Walmart pajama bottoms as leggings until they are able to do something different. The sewing circle should be able to help you do a T-tunic, even if you have never touched needle or thread.

          Also most groups have loaner garb available until folks can put together some new garb of thier own. Your Hospitaller will be able to point you in the right direction.

          <<I dont have a name :( other than my old boring one, >>

          Don't go too fast in choosing a name. You may have to live a long time with your choice. Look around on St gabriel's website http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/. They are researchers of accurate period names.

          <<I have been working on my persona but that is coming along slowly,
          and I am not sure where to start.>>

          Slowly is fine. As you learn and see more, and talk with more people, you will discover the things you are most interested in.

          << My first thought is maybe I should
          get back with the hospitaler. Is that what she is there for? or am I
          incorrect in seeking her help? >>

          Absolutely seek her help. If she cannot answer all your questions, she probably knows who to send you to.

          <<Any advice would be greatly appreciated.>>

          In service,
          Alison Wodehalle
          Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East Kingdom

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
            On Monday 07 February 2005 13:19, Alison Choyce wrote:
            > The kitchens always need help, and there is always clean-up after the
            > event.  When folks are working together, they chat and are freindly.

            An excellent observation. And doing dishes can be a social activity, if
            you approach it with the right attitude and a fun group of people. Want
            to be instantly welcomed by your group? Step in and help sweep floors or
            do dishes after an event. And I've met some of my favorite people in the
            SCA by standing next to them at a sink full of dirty dishwater. Face it --
            you have nothing better to do than to get to know each other, because
            dishes don't take a lot of brainpower. :-) It's not an unpleasant job
            at all, given enough people. "Many hands make light work."

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Sosi
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
              Jim! Hiya! I'm pretty new too.... Dude..get the Knowne World Handbook, it's 16 bucks located here (I couldn't live without it) https://secure.sca.org/cgi-bin/stockclerk/other.html It's true, all the information is on the sca.org site but having alot condensed at your fingertips-or to take with you is..well a plus in my opinion.
              Have fun, and don't get discouraged-ever.

              Sosi
              One's own ear-ring to one's dear friend-Russian proverb