New new new

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2005
      Hi all

      Well my name is Jim. I am new to SCA, and in fact only been to one
      Populace meeting. Am finding it very difficult to find my way. I
      have had some help from a really nice hospitaler, but still having
      difficulties.

      I live in the Barony of Namron in the Kingdom of Ansteorra. The
      people at the meeting were very nice, although i am pretty shy (I
      kind of blend in to settings). But now what?

      There are several events coming up for us but I dont know where to
      start with garb, I dont have a name :( other than my old boring one,
      I have been working on my persona but that is coming along slowly,
      and I am not sure where to start. My first thought is maybe I should
      get back with the hospitaler. Is that what she is there for? or am I
      incorrect in seeking her help?

      Jim
    • HARKINS
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2005
        Yes that is her job and she will most likely help you
        alot!

        She probably has loaner garb that you can wear to your
        first event.

        Go to something you are interested in, too. Most
        archery groups have weekly practices with loaner
        equipment and garb was not required at practices. I
        asked them if I could camp with them for my first
        event and now I call them my friends. (only been in
        the SCA for about 6 months. I started there, but have
        branched out to other things, and even make my own
        garb.)

        ALso if you are an artist.. there are folks that do
        illumination and calligraphy usually, and there is
        usually a group of folks that get together to sew
        garb, so.. you could go there and learn to make your
        own. Men do sew in the SCA!!! quite manly really :)

        I use a derivitive of my real name, I don't have a
        personna or device but I'm still having a blast!

        Main thing is DON'T give up... with 4 or 5 events
        under my belt, I feel so much more at ease with it
        all. I am getting to know more and more folks with
        every event.

        Susanna (Steppes in Ansteorra)
        --- Jim <geoo@...> wrote:

[...]

        Terms of Service.