Re: [SCA Newcomers] got a name, need some links to garb....

  • Lady Aranel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
      <<Here are some links that will get you started on your garb.I could recommend a few books too, if you like.As for your byname, place names or professions were common;for instance my Saxon husband's name is Cynric of Bedwyn.>>>

      I would love the book recommendations. Thank you! Also, how does one find a place name from the correct period?

      thanks again!
      Ælfwyn

    • Adrienne R. Ferrell
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
        At 08:22 PM 1/17/2005, you wrote:

        >I would love the book recommendations. Thank you! Also, how does one find
        >a place name from the correct period?
        >
        >thanks again!
        >Ælfwyn

        Dress in Anglo-Saxon England by Gale R. Owen-Crocker
        ISBN 0-719-1818-8

        A History of English Costume by Iris Brooke
        ISBN 0-87830-056-2

        A Short History of Costume & Armour chiefly in England Vol 1
        by Francis M. Kelly and Randolf Schwabe
        Benjamin Blom, Inc. Publishers

        British Costume from the earliest times to 1820
        by Mrs Charles H. Ashdown
        ISBN 0-486-41813-8

        History of Costume
        Blanche Payne
        Harper & Row, Publishers, New York
        * this is my favorite book for costuming

        Costume 1066-1966
        John Peacock
        Thames and Hudson publishers

        If you put "anglo saxon place names" in to google, you'll get a lot
        of good links on the first page.

        sincerely,
        Seraphina

      • Amber morgan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
          Hi. I'm just a newbie and all last week was going through the naming process..
          Here is a couple of links that may be helpful.
          The first one has some english names info, and I think the second is where (I think) you check to see if your name is already registered by someone else. Best bet maybe is to find a homepage for your area and look up the local herald. They do this sort of stuff for fun. at least I think they do...

          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/engoldenglish.shtml
          http://www.wgz.org/heraldry/OandA/oanda_np.cgi?a=disabled&b=broad&c=case-sensitive&d=modern&g=enabled&l=500&p=%5eAElfwyn&s=name+only

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
            In a message dated 1/17/2005 8:31:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            LadyAranel@... writes:

            <<I've decided on a name Angelo-Saxon from 10th century... AElfwyn. How did
            the Saxon's do bynames? Can anyone lead me to a good resource? Also, any good
            links to garb from this culture. I Googled but didn't find much... Any help
            appreciated!>>

            The absolutely best naming source on the web is the Academy of Saint Gabriel
            at _http://www.s-gabriel.org_ (http://www.s-gabriel.org) ; also the Medieval
            Naming Guides at _http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/_
            (http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/) which I believe are linked to the St. Gabriel site. Either
            or both of those should have a resource for constructing Saxon bynames on
            them, as well as lists of documented names.

            As far as Anglo-Saxon garb, there is a British re-enactment group called
            Regia Anglorum that has a website chock full of all sorts of info about
            clothing , material goods, etc from this culture (as well as Vikings in England and
            Normans) during the period 850-1100. You can check it out at
            _http://www.regia.org_ (http://www.regia.org) These guys are serious re-enactors who
            frequently get used for film work and educational work at British historical sites,
            and they know their stuff.

            Lancaster, PA

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
              In a message dated 1/17/2005 10:00:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              aferrell@... writes:

              <<British Costume from the earliest times to 1820
              by Mrs Charles H. Ashdown
              ISBN 0-486-41813-8

              Costume 1066-1966
              John Peacock
              Thames and Hudson publishers>>

              These two I would be very skeptical of and back up anything you find in them
              from another source, like Crocker-Owens, first.
              The first is extremely out of date and has all the pitfalls of the average
              19th century costuming book - ie almost everything is redrawn from another
              source, there are no photographs or often even sources of the original given,
              and the contours and clothing lines are often "adjusted" to fit what the
              Victorian considered appropriate.

              Peacock is notoriously inaccurate for the same reasons. He's got thousands
              of redrawings in there, no indication whatsoever of where they came from or
              how accurately they were copied, and I know that for my own area of study, the
              12th century, he perpetuates garb myths that were struck down 50 years ago
              by people looking more closely at existing 12th century sources.

              Lancaster, PA

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
                In a message dated 1/17/2005 10:20:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                monkeygirl@... writes:

                <<I think the second is where (I think) you check to see if your name is
                already registered by someone else. Best bet maybe is to find a homepage for
                your area and look up the local herald. They do this sort of stuff for fun. at
                least I think they do...>>

                I don't recognize that second link right off the bat, but I'm not a working
                herald. Certainly you could use the O&A (Ordinary and Armorial) to check
                basic names, but from my attempts to use it the search criteria to do an
                accurate search can get pretty weird.
                There are a lot of heralds in the SCA who do, in fact, do name research for
                fun. There's no guarantee that your local herald will be one of them, but
                the local one should at least be able to point you to someone who does.

                Lancaster, PA

              • Alison Choyce
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
                  Yes, that link does go to the SCA O & A search engine. That particular link searches for name elements. The problem with checking it yourself, is that the rules about what conflicts with what can be confusing. Your best bet is to find your local herald (or nearby interested herald) and ask him/her to check it for you. I am a herald, but my interest is picture heraldry (arms) and there are a large number of folks in my locale that do names extraordinarily well, so I haven't needed to learn conflict checking on names. I do know that most name returns are not for conflict, but for not being period style/name/spelling/etc. The website for St. Gabriel's Academy not only lists period names, but also discusses period naming practices and style for a variety of cultures, so I would recommend using St Gabriel's.

                  Enjoy, and good luck!
                  Alison Wodehalle
                  Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East kingdom