Re: [SCA Newcomers] got a name, need some links to garb....

  • Adrienne R. Ferrell
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
      At 07:11 PM 1/17/2005, you wrote:
      >Hi all...
      >
      >I've decided on a name Angelo-Saxon from 10th century... AElfwyn. How did
      >the Saxon's do bynames? Can anyone lead me to a good resource? Also, any
      >good links to garb from this culture. I Googled but didn't find much...
      >Any help appreciated!
      >
      >AElfwyn

      Dear AElfwyn,

      Here are some links that will get you started on your garb.
      I could recommend a few books too, if you like.
      As for your byname, place names or professions were common;
      for instance my Saxon husband's name is Cynric of Bedwyn.

      http://www.gelfling.dds.nl/anglo-saxon.html
      http://www.garbtheworld.com/pgs/hist/saxons.shtml
      http://users.ox.ac.uk/~wychwood/costume/moreinfo.shtml#female
      http://mahan.wonkwang.ac.kr/link/med/england/anglo-saxon/culture/dress.html
      http://www.regia.org/textiles.htm

      sincerely,
      Seraphina

    • Lady Aranel
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
        <<Here are some links that will get you started on your garb.I could recommend a few books too, if you like.As for your byname, place names or professions were common;for instance my Saxon husband's name is Cynric of Bedwyn.>>>

        I would love the book recommendations. Thank you! Also, how does one find a place name from the correct period?

        thanks again!
        Ælfwyn

      • Adrienne R. Ferrell
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
          At 08:22 PM 1/17/2005, you wrote:

          >I would love the book recommendations. Thank you! Also, how does one find
          >a place name from the correct period?
          >
          >thanks again!
          >Ælfwyn

          Dress in Anglo-Saxon England by Gale R. Owen-Crocker
          ISBN 0-719-1818-8

          A History of English Costume by Iris Brooke
          ISBN 0-87830-056-2

          A Short History of Costume & Armour chiefly in England Vol 1
          by Francis M. Kelly and Randolf Schwabe
          Benjamin Blom, Inc. Publishers

          British Costume from the earliest times to 1820
          by Mrs Charles H. Ashdown
          ISBN 0-486-41813-8

          History of Costume
          Blanche Payne
          Harper & Row, Publishers, New York
          * this is my favorite book for costuming

          Costume 1066-1966
          John Peacock
          Thames and Hudson publishers

          If you put "anglo saxon place names" in to google, you'll get a lot
          of good links on the first page.

          sincerely,
          Seraphina

        • Amber morgan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
            Hi. I'm just a newbie and all last week was going through the naming process..
            Here is a couple of links that may be helpful.
            The first one has some english names info, and I think the second is where (I think) you check to see if your name is already registered by someone else. Best bet maybe is to find a homepage for your area and look up the local herald. They do this sort of stuff for fun. at least I think they do...

            http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/engoldenglish.shtml
            http://www.wgz.org/heraldry/OandA/oanda_np.cgi?a=disabled&b=broad&c=case-sensitive&d=modern&g=enabled&l=500&p=%5eAElfwyn&s=name+only

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
              In a message dated 1/17/2005 8:31:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              LadyAranel@... writes:

              <<I've decided on a name Angelo-Saxon from 10th century... AElfwyn. How did
              the Saxon's do bynames? Can anyone lead me to a good resource? Also, any good
              links to garb from this culture. I Googled but didn't find much... Any help
              appreciated!>>

              The absolutely best naming source on the web is the Academy of Saint Gabriel
              at _http://www.s-gabriel.org_ (http://www.s-gabriel.org) ; also the Medieval
              Naming Guides at _http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/_
              (http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/) which I believe are linked to the St. Gabriel site. Either
              or both of those should have a resource for constructing Saxon bynames on
              them, as well as lists of documented names.

              As far as Anglo-Saxon garb, there is a British re-enactment group called
              Regia Anglorum that has a website chock full of all sorts of info about
              clothing , material goods, etc from this culture (as well as Vikings in England and
              Normans) during the period 850-1100. You can check it out at
              _http://www.regia.org_ (http://www.regia.org) These guys are serious re-enactors who
              frequently get used for film work and educational work at British historical sites,
              and they know their stuff.

              Lancaster, PA

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
                In a message dated 1/17/2005 10:00:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                aferrell@... writes:

                <<British Costume from the earliest times to 1820
                by Mrs Charles H. Ashdown
                ISBN 0-486-41813-8

                Costume 1066-1966
                John Peacock
                Thames and Hudson publishers>>

                These two I would be very skeptical of and back up anything you find in them
                from another source, like Crocker-Owens, first.
                The first is extremely out of date and has all the pitfalls of the average
                19th century costuming book - ie almost everything is redrawn from another
                source, there are no photographs or often even sources of the original given,
                and the contours and clothing lines are often "adjusted" to fit what the
                Victorian considered appropriate.

                Peacock is notoriously inaccurate for the same reasons. He's got thousands
                of redrawings in there, no indication whatsoever of where they came from or
                how accurately they were copied, and I know that for my own area of study, the
                12th century, he perpetuates garb myths that were struck down 50 years ago
                by people looking more closely at existing 12th century sources.

                Lancaster, PA

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
                  In a message dated 1/17/2005 10:20:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  monkeygirl@... writes:

                  <<I think the second is where (I think) you check to see if your name is
                  already registered by someone else. Best bet maybe is to find a homepage for
                  your area and look up the local herald. They do this sort of stuff for fun. at
                  least I think they do...>>

                  I don't recognize that second link right off the bat, but I'm not a working
                  herald. Certainly you could use the O&A (Ordinary and Armorial) to check
                  basic names, but from my attempts to use it the search criteria to do an
                  accurate search can get pretty weird.
                  There are a lot of heralds in the SCA who do, in fact, do name research for
                  fun. There's no guarantee that your local herald will be one of them, but
                  the local one should at least be able to point you to someone who does.

                  Lancaster, PA

                • Alison Choyce
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
                    Yes, that link does go to the SCA O & A search engine. That particular link searches for name elements. The problem with checking it yourself, is that the rules about what conflicts with what can be confusing. Your best bet is to find your local herald (or nearby interested herald) and ask him/her to check it for you. I am a herald, but my interest is picture heraldry (arms) and there are a large number of folks in my locale that do names extraordinarily well, so I haven't needed to learn conflict checking on names. I do know that most name returns are not for conflict, but for not being period style/name/spelling/etc. The website for St. Gabriel's Academy not only lists period names, but also discusses period naming practices and style for a variety of cultures, so I would recommend using St Gabriel's.

                    Enjoy, and good luck!
                    Alison Wodehalle
                    Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East kingdom