got a name, need some links to garb....

  • Lady Aranel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
      Hi all...

      I've decided on a name Angelo-Saxon from 10th century... AElfwyn. How did the Saxon's do bynames? Can anyone lead me to a good resource? Also, any good links to garb from this culture. I Googled but didn't find much... Any help appreciated!

      AElfwyn
    • Adrienne R. Ferrell
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
        At 07:11 PM 1/17/2005, you wrote:
        >Hi all...
        >
        >I've decided on a name Angelo-Saxon from 10th century... AElfwyn. How did
        >the Saxon's do bynames? Can anyone lead me to a good resource? Also, any
        >good links to garb from this culture. I Googled but didn't find much...
        >Any help appreciated!
        >
        >AElfwyn

        Dear AElfwyn,

        Here are some links that will get you started on your garb.
        I could recommend a few books too, if you like.
        As for your byname, place names or professions were common;
        for instance my Saxon husband's name is Cynric of Bedwyn.

        http://www.gelfling.dds.nl/anglo-saxon.html
        http://www.garbtheworld.com/pgs/hist/saxons.shtml
        http://users.ox.ac.uk/~wychwood/costume/moreinfo.shtml#female
        http://mahan.wonkwang.ac.kr/link/med/england/anglo-saxon/culture/dress.html
        http://www.regia.org/textiles.htm

        sincerely,
        Seraphina

      • Lady Aranel
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
          <<Here are some links that will get you started on your garb.I could recommend a few books too, if you like.As for your byname, place names or professions were common;for instance my Saxon husband's name is Cynric of Bedwyn.>>>

          I would love the book recommendations. Thank you! Also, how does one find a place name from the correct period?

          thanks again!
          Ælfwyn

        • Adrienne R. Ferrell
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
            At 08:22 PM 1/17/2005, you wrote:

            >I would love the book recommendations. Thank you! Also, how does one find
            >a place name from the correct period?
            >
            >thanks again!
            >Ælfwyn

            Dress in Anglo-Saxon England by Gale R. Owen-Crocker
            ISBN 0-719-1818-8

            A History of English Costume by Iris Brooke
            ISBN 0-87830-056-2

            A Short History of Costume & Armour chiefly in England Vol 1
            by Francis M. Kelly and Randolf Schwabe
            Benjamin Blom, Inc. Publishers

            British Costume from the earliest times to 1820
            by Mrs Charles H. Ashdown
            ISBN 0-486-41813-8

            History of Costume
            Blanche Payne
            Harper & Row, Publishers, New York
            * this is my favorite book for costuming

            Costume 1066-1966
            John Peacock
            Thames and Hudson publishers

            If you put "anglo saxon place names" in to google, you'll get a lot
            of good links on the first page.

            sincerely,
            Seraphina

          • Amber morgan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 17, 2005
              Hi. I'm just a newbie and all last week was going through the naming process..
              Here is a couple of links that may be helpful.
              The first one has some english names info, and I think the second is where (I think) you check to see if your name is already registered by someone else. Best bet maybe is to find a homepage for your area and look up the local herald. They do this sort of stuff for fun. at least I think they do...

              http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/engoldenglish.shtml
              http://www.wgz.org/heraldry/OandA/oanda_np.cgi?a=disabled&b=broad&c=case-sensitive&d=modern&g=enabled&l=500&p=%5eAElfwyn&s=name+only

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
                In a message dated 1/17/2005 8:31:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                LadyAranel@... writes:

                <<I've decided on a name Angelo-Saxon from 10th century... AElfwyn. How did
                the Saxon's do bynames? Can anyone lead me to a good resource? Also, any good
                links to garb from this culture. I Googled but didn't find much... Any help
                appreciated!>>

                The absolutely best naming source on the web is the Academy of Saint Gabriel
                at _http://www.s-gabriel.org_ (http://www.s-gabriel.org) ; also the Medieval
                Naming Guides at _http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/_
                (http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/) which I believe are linked to the St. Gabriel site. Either
                or both of those should have a resource for constructing Saxon bynames on
                them, as well as lists of documented names.

                As far as Anglo-Saxon garb, there is a British re-enactment group called
                Regia Anglorum that has a website chock full of all sorts of info about
                clothing , material goods, etc from this culture (as well as Vikings in England and
                Normans) during the period 850-1100. You can check it out at
                _http://www.regia.org_ (http://www.regia.org) These guys are serious re-enactors who
                frequently get used for film work and educational work at British historical sites,
                and they know their stuff.

                Lancaster, PA

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
                  In a message dated 1/17/2005 10:00:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  aferrell@... writes:

                  <<British Costume from the earliest times to 1820
                  by Mrs Charles H. Ashdown
                  ISBN 0-486-41813-8

                  Costume 1066-1966
                  John Peacock
                  Thames and Hudson publishers>>

                  These two I would be very skeptical of and back up anything you find in them
                  from another source, like Crocker-Owens, first.
                  The first is extremely out of date and has all the pitfalls of the average
                  19th century costuming book - ie almost everything is redrawn from another
                  source, there are no photographs or often even sources of the original given,
                  and the contours and clothing lines are often "adjusted" to fit what the
                  Victorian considered appropriate.

                  Peacock is notoriously inaccurate for the same reasons. He's got thousands
                  of redrawings in there, no indication whatsoever of where they came from or
                  how accurately they were copied, and I know that for my own area of study, the
                  12th century, he perpetuates garb myths that were struck down 50 years ago
                  by people looking more closely at existing 12th century sources.

                  Lancaster, PA

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
                    In a message dated 1/17/2005 10:20:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    monkeygirl@... writes:

                    <<I think the second is where (I think) you check to see if your name is
                    already registered by someone else. Best bet maybe is to find a homepage for
                    your area and look up the local herald. They do this sort of stuff for fun. at
                    least I think they do...>>

                    I don't recognize that second link right off the bat, but I'm not a working
                    herald. Certainly you could use the O&A (Ordinary and Armorial) to check
                    basic names, but from my attempts to use it the search criteria to do an
                    accurate search can get pretty weird.
                    There are a lot of heralds in the SCA who do, in fact, do name research for
                    fun. There's no guarantee that your local herald will be one of them, but
                    the local one should at least be able to point you to someone who does.

                    Lancaster, PA

                  • Alison Choyce
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 18, 2005
                      Yes, that link does go to the SCA O & A search engine. That particular link searches for name elements. The problem with checking it yourself, is that the rules about what conflicts with what can be confusing. Your best bet is to find your local herald (or nearby interested herald) and ask him/her to check it for you. I am a herald, but my interest is picture heraldry (arms) and there are a large number of folks in my locale that do names extraordinarily well, so I haven't needed to learn conflict checking on names. I do know that most name returns are not for conflict, but for not being period style/name/spelling/etc. The website for St. Gabriel's Academy not only lists period names, but also discusses period naming practices and style for a variety of cultures, so I would recommend using St Gabriel's.

                      Enjoy, and good luck!
                      Alison Wodehalle
                      Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East kingdom