Re: [SCA Newcomers] A question about belt favors.....

  • JolieH2000@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 9, 2005
      In a message dated 1/9/2005 5:50:39 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      bronwynmgn@... writes:

      , you might want to find out if the reason the group doesn't
      have a badge and favors already is simply because they don't want them or
      don't find a need for them; if you were to go ahead and make them up without

      finding out if people would actually use them, then a) you've wasted the
      time and
      effort and b) might be perceived as a "pushy new person trying to change
      things she doesn't know anything about" - know what I mean?

      Well, I know the reason we don't have a badge or favor, is because we just
      decided as of last Estrella that we were a household. I just wanted to do
      something special for us and for the guests of our encampment. We haven't come
      up with a device for our household.

      And no, I don't know what you mean about being a pushy new person but that
      might be because I am a pushy new person to the SCA and can't quite figure out
      the rules. Remember, Baron Tristen Von Halstern had all sorts of problems
      with my outspoken way of being at Pennsic this year. I still haven't figured
      out what he means by shooting off my mouth.

      Lucky for me, the head of my household is also a rennie.

      So, where can I find out what I can do, and not just what I can't do??

      Many thanks in advance.

    • Starling Mandrill

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2005
          In a message dated 1/9/2005 3:15:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          JolieH2000@... writes:

          <<Well, I know the reason we don't have a badge or favor, is because we just

          decided as of last Estrella that we were a household. I just wanted to do
          something special for us and for the guests of our encampment. We haven't
          come
          up with a device for our household.>>

          Well, see, I didn't know that your household was that new. So it may be
          simply that a) no one has thought of doing this yet, b) nobody really knows how
          to get a device, or c)any number of other things coming first. I think it
          would be a great idea to come up with some sort of indicator for your
          household. Remember that it does not have to technically be a device or arms on a
          favor; it could be a cast pewter pin, or a small jewel, or a thin belt worn as a
          garter or on a sleeve, etc.

          <<And no, I don't know what you mean about being a pushy new person but that

          might be because I am a pushy new person to the SCA and can't quite figure
          out
          the rules. Remember, Baron Tristen Von Halstern had all sorts of problems
          with my outspoken way of being at Pennsic this year. I still haven't
          figured
          out what he means by shooting off my mouth.>>

          Had you been joining an older household where they'd already been through
          the "do we want a device" discussion and decided they didn't, and you as a
          newcomer went out on your own and made one up for them and made things for them
          to wear with it and presented them as a done deal without asking anyone about
          it, it would be very easy for the older members to feel that you were trying
          to make the household follow your own image of what a household should be,
          regardless of what the rest of the household might want to be. Now do you see
          what I mean?

          <<So, where can I find out what I can do, and not just what I can't do??>>

          My first recommendation would still be to talk to the head of the household
          and the rest of the household and see if they want something like this, and
          how formal they want it to be. A household is basically a family; think about
          whether you would prefer some random family member of yours to show up with,
          say, fluorescent orange and lime green baseball caps and say "Now we're all
          going to wear these when we go anywhere so everybody knows we're a family",
          or if you prefer that person to say ahead of time, "What do you think about all
          of us having some kind of family T-shirt or something to wear when we go
          here? What do you think would be best?"

          Then, if a belt favor is what you all like, talk to a herald and have them
          quick check the design to see if it's clear of conflict. You can use it
          unregistered, but by having the herald check it first, you minimize the
          possibilities of having to come up with something else when you've already made a
          bunch. It's also the first step if the household decides they'd really like to
          have a badge, and then you kill two birds with one stone.

          Alternatively, think of some other symbol for the group. While belt favors
          are the most common way of showing affiliation in the SCA, they are far from
          the only possible or only period way, and many of the alternatives don't fall
          under the heraldry rules at all. As an example, it used to be common for
          people who frequented the rec.org.sca board (the Rialto) to wear a small piece
          of netting somewhere on their person (since they knew each other from "the
          net"). I made some other suggestions above.

          Lancaster, PA

        • JolieH2000@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2005
            Thank you for the input. I have an idea now for something to do as a belt
            favor that I can still do as a surprize and not get anyone or myself in any
            trouble. I am going to hem some fabric and have our household name sewn on it
            with Estrella...whatever number that it is of Estrella with a pewter pin in
            the middle.

            My plan is to hand them to the head of my household at our breakfast
            household meeting Friday morning when all of us are there so he can pass them out to
            the rest of the household and our guests as a remembrance of this Estrella.
            Lord Garrek will love it that he didn't think of it but it was done for him
            to do.

            And I am going to put coming up with a device for our household as an agenda
            for our ending meeting of Monday morning before we tear down and head for
            home.

            Many thanks,

            Jolie'
            House Shadowdale