Re: [SCA Newcomers] Help with bad grommets (was: I need a better punching too...

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
      In a message dated 1/1/2005 5:23:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      sainte1@... writes:

      <<Ok, I have a couple of grommets that came out of my bodice (bad
      grommets! no biscuit!) and I don't know how to fix them. The hole is
      huge, but I do have some of the original fabric, and, strangely enough,
      some silk, although not in the same color. How can I fix this? I assume
      it's going to involve a lot of hand-sewing, especially since I want to
      also cover the other grommets to match. (This will be quite a challenge,
      since my hand-sewing skills are horrendous, and I have the patience of a
      cat waiting for a bath.... in other words, I'd rather be doing almost
      anything BESIDES hand-sewing.) Any suggestions?>>

      Honestly, the only thing I can think of is to sew a patch of the original
      fabric over the hole, probably from the inside of the bodice so the edges don't
      show. That you can probably do with a sewing machine. Is the bodice
      already lined? If so, that's going to make it a lot more difficult, because you
      should really do it on the inside of the outer fabric rather than the inside of
      the lining. You could probably sew a square of silk on at the same time.
      You would then need to, as carefully as possible, whipstitch down the edges of
      the hole - whipstitching it will keep it from fraying further. Then put in
      your new grommet in the patched area, and use silk floss and a buttonhole
      stitch to overstitch the entire grommet, then go on and overstitch all the other
      ones. It is a lot of work, but it's a lot easier to buttonhole stitch over
      a grommet than it is with an open cut hole or a hole poked through the weave,
      because you already have something there to hold the size and shape of the
      hole. With just a hole, you have to be careful to pull evenly so you don't
      make a crooked hole.

      Does that make sense? I've only overstitched grommets once, years ago, and
      that was as I was first making the bodice, which of course I promptly managed
      to lose at a RenFaire before I'd even had it one summer.

      Lancaster, PA

    • Dianne & Greg Stucki
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
        I've only overstitched grommets once, years ago, and
        that was as I was first making the bodice, which of course I promptly managed
        to lose at a RenFaire before I'd even had it one summer.
        How, may I ask, did you manage to LOSE your bodice at a Faire? Or is that too personal a question?

        grins

        Laurensa

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
          In a message dated 1/2/2005 6:38:08 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          goofy1@... writes:

          <<How, may I ask, did you manage to LOSE your bodice at a Faire? Or is that
          too personal a question?>>

          Not at all, since it involves nothing more intimate than using my bloomers
          as a carry bag...it was an extremely hot day, and when fair ended I changed
          into shorts and T-shirt and crammed the rest of my garb inside my bloomers so I
          could use them as a carrying bag. As best I can determine, I must have put
          the bodice down one leg hole and had it fall out the bottom while I was
          walking around. Just goes to show, one should never trust a carrying bag with a
          built-in hole in the bottom.... Before you ask, the bodice was cheap
          polycotton and the only "boning" in it was that cheap stiffening strip stuff you can
          buy at JoAnn's and cut with scissors, used only at the lacing edges. Me
          being even more petite then than I am now, there was plenty of room for a very
          crushable (and very small) bodice to work it's way out of an elasticized leg
          hole. Some of my bodices are in shire gold key right now and I've only ever
          found one other person even close to adult (and I think she was 16) that could
          wear them; usually they get put on 12 year olds.

          Lancaster, PA