Re: [SCA Newcomers] I need a better punching tool.

  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Adrienne R. Ferrell
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 5:56 AM
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] I need a better punching tool.

      At 11:13 PM 12/29/2004, you wrote:

      >Those are very pretty! Do they hold up to wear (my hook and eyes seem to
      >fall out often)?
      >
      >"Adrienne R. Ferrell" <aferrell@...> wrote:
      >Dear Katherine,
      >
      >Congratulations on your new bodice. I have to admit I am lousy with
      >grommets. One or two always go "wonky " on me. Here's a link to what I use
      >now.
      ><http://www.thornyrose.com/misc.html>http://www.thornyrose.com/misc.html
      >They are easy to sew on and look
      >great. Oh, these are really nice at the shoulder for adding
      >tie on sleeves.

      May I add, you can also buy some very nice quality grommets from Thorny Rose--the last time I bought some, they were seven dollars per GROSS, including shipping. I now use hand-stitched eyelets on clothing for myself, but I use grommets from Thorny Rose on the garb I sell.

      Laurensa

    • Marco and Jitka Sainte
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
        bronwynmgn@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 1/1/2005 5:56:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > aferrell@... writes:
        >
        > <<For either one, I really would suggest
        > stabilizing the area they are going. Most patterns have this in their
        > instructions. This is usually done with interfacing. It makes it a
        > little harder to go through the extra layers if you are using grommets,
        > but is worth the extra effort in the longevity of your garment.>>
        >
        > In period, one of the more common methods for making lacing holes was
        > to do
        > handsewn eyelets. Interestingly, the area where these were to be
        > placed was
        > also stabilized, based on surviving scraps and pieces of clothing from
        > the
        > period. The area where the eyelets were to be sewn would be faced
        > with a piece
        > of silk, and the eyelets worked through both whatever the garment
        > material
        > was and the silk. Silk being a rather strong fabric, it works quite
        > effectively. Something else that helps with keeping the holes from
        > ripping out is,
        > rather than punching a hole in the fabric, using a dull awl or
        > similar tool to
        > pass between the fibers of the weave and stretch a hole open. Since you
        > haven't cut any fibers, the hole is less likely to fray or rip open
        > further,
        > whereas cutting the fibers produces a weak spot in the fabric.

        Ok, I have a couple of grommets that came out of my bodice (bad
        grommets! no biscuit!) and I don't know how to fix them. The hole is
        huge, but I do have some of the original fabric, and, strangely enough,
        some silk, although not in the same color. How can I fix this? I assume
        it's going to involve a lot of hand-sewing, especially since I want to
        also cover the other grommets to match. (This will be quite a challenge,
        since my hand-sewing skills are horrendous, and I have the patience of a
        cat waiting for a bath.... in other words, I'd rather be doing almost
        anything BESIDES hand-sewing.) Any suggestions?

        Fiora Soranzo
        Shire of Greyhope, Constellation, Middle Kingdom