Re: [SCA Newcomers] Norse (viking) looking for armor and garb

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
      In a message dated 12/15/2004 9:22:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      Korhyl@... writes:

      <<my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time finding
      any thing that fits at all.>>

      Sounds like you may need to go to custom-made then - I don't know how many
      merchants are going to carry much to fit that size range! If you were closer,
      I'd suggest you get on my husband's work list, but it's a bit hard to do
      fittings between Texas and PA.

      Can anyone closer to the relevant area put this gentleman in touch with
      either a merchant who sells "Big and Tall" sizes or someone who'll work on
      commission?

      Lancaster, PA

    • night_travler
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 29, 2004
        Hello - I'm 6'5 in the 200 range...
        I can help you out a bit -
        My first T-tunic - was easy to make - just need a seemstrees.
        I used a version of the 1800's work shirt from the
        Thomson Magazine. -
        For my pants I had to buy 4 yards of some cotton type that
        is carried at wall mart - less than $20.

        Lancaster is an easy area to find people to help you with garb.

        Because you have a few festivals in your area and Dinner theater.
        I use to live out near you a few years ago.

        Several of the Dinner Theater people or local theater group
        are costumers. Just don't be shy - expalin to them what you are
        doing. And they will be more than happy to help you out.

        http://www.parenaissancefaire.com/

        But as a beginner, just remember you may want to start slow - don't
        need to look 100% for a while - It took me some time to realize that
        I can collect my outfit one piece at a time.
        Because I started with just a shirt and a belt at my first event.

        And don't forget - you have the Omish in Lancaster so your bound to
        find all kinds of places that will carry sewing supplies and or
        the fabric you need.

        BTW - my Persona is a Viking too..

        Petrus Runvast
        Midwinde
        Northshield.

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
          In a message dated 12/30/2004 9:04:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

          <<Lancaster is an easy area to find people to help you with garb.

          Because you have a few festivals in your area and Dinner theater.
          I use to live out near you a few years ago.

          Several of the Dinner Theater people or local theater group
          are costumers. Just don't be shy - expalin to them what you are
          doing. And they will be more than happy to help you out.

          http://www.parenaissancefaire.com/>>

          If you are talking Lancaster, PA, there is also an active SCA group here
          with several very experienced costumers who are willing to either teach
          newcomers or do work on commission. In point of fact, I am the chatelaine for this
          group and will be teaching an intro to fabric class and hopefully a basic
          tunic class within the next few weeks. Contact me directly if you are in the
          area and interested.

          <<But as a beginner, just remember you may want to start slow - don't
          need to look 100% for a while - It took me some time to realize that
          I can collect my outfit one piece at a time.
          Because I started with just a shirt and a belt at my first event.>>

          Quite true - but if you want to be accurate for your first event, that's
          fine, too, and there are people who are willing to help you achieve that.

          <<And don't forget - you have the Omish in Lancaster so your bound to
          find all kinds of places that will carry sewing supplies and or
          the fabric you need. >>

          Don't count on it. The Amish use a lot of synthetics and inappropriate
          weaves for period clothing, oddly enough. It's really easy to find printed
          cotton calico or wool or synthetic knits, but not so easy to find linen or good
          weaves of wool. There is, however, a shop catering to re-enactors (Timeless
          Fabrics) which just opened in Palmyra, Lebanon County.

          Lancaster, PA

        • lakesavernake
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Korhyl Walker <Korhyl@y...> wrote:

            > sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of
            Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep
            (Waco).

            > my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time
            finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb
            more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)

            Dear Korhyl,

            I'm in Bjornsborg (San Antonio) a barony full of vikings. Some of
            them are very large too. I would be very happy to help you with your
            garb, and also point you to folks who know more about armour. The
            viking answer lady lives in Byn Gwlad (Austin). Gunnoura is a weath
            of information and is a very intertaining lady to talk to. Did you
            know that Waco had a viking fest(non SCA) last year? There will be
            another one this April. They are buying a full size longship from
            Poland and will be sailing it down the river.

            sincerely,
            Seraphina
            (aka Solveig to the vikings)
          • Cathy Day
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
              Now that I've received such great info about the history of the pen - thank
              you all again - can anyone direct me to info about the people and garb of
              12th and 13th century Finland? I think that's where I want to be from -
              don't ask why - but pictures of clothing particularly seem to be
              non-existent. I get a lot of pix of castles, which will be great if I ever
              build one - lol. I'm looking for women's clothing, and any armor they may
              have worn too. HELP - and pre-thanks.

              Katara

            • Anne
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                Yes! Waco is indeed holding VikingFest this coming year, and every
                year for the next eight. :) So, here's the current link ...
                http://www.vikingfest.com/

                And, if you need help figuring out where to stay, or need specific
                info on the Waco area, feel free to email me off-list, since I happen
                to reside there.

                Juliane Rose

                On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:54:10 -0000, lakesavernake <aferrell@...> wrote:

                > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Korhyl Walker <Korhyl@y...> wrote:
                > >

                > > sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of
                > Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep
                > (Waco).
                > >
                > > my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time
                > finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb
                > more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)
                > >

                > Dear Korhyl,
                >
                > I'm in Bjornsborg (San Antonio) a barony full of vikings. Some of
                > them are very large too. I would be very happy to help you with your
                > garb, and also point you to folks who know more about armour. The
                > viking answer lady lives in Byn Gwlad (Austin). Gunnoura is a weath
                > of information and is a very intertaining lady to talk to. Did you
                > know that Waco had a viking fest(non SCA) last year? There will be
                > another one this April. They are buying a full size longship from
                > Poland and will be sailing it down the river.
                >
                > sincerely,
                > Seraphina
                > (aka Solveig to the vikings)
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                ~ Not all who wander are lost .... ~

                Well-behaved women rarely make history.

                "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt
                of in your philosophy."

                --From Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)