Barbarian Warriors: Saxons, Vikings, Normans

  • Patrick ODonnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2004
      If you're looking for ideas on Viking garb - or pretty much anything from the late Dark Ages - this book by Brassey's (author Dan Shadrake) is great to take a look at. It has great detail on the actual armor and weapons and has tons of color pictures that will likely inspire you to make great garb. Think wool with linen undertunics.

      Shadrake is the head of Britannia, a British reenactment group that has been in several movies, including the opening battle scene in Gladiator, just in different garb from what they usually wear. He's a pretty cool guy who combines some pretty serious research but also has a devilish and fun streak to him.

      The book is pricey so you'll want to check your library or interlibrary loan. But is it eye-opening. Reading it convinced me I had to go see some Brit groups while researching my own book.

      - Patrick O'Donnell

      Author of The Knights Next Door: Everyday People Living Middle Ages Dreams
      A "behind-the-shield" look at the world of Middle Ages re-enactors

      Available in hardcover and paperback, October 2004
      www.knightsnextdoor.com