Re: [SCA Newcomers] Norse (viking) looking for armor and garb

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
      On Tuesday 14 December 2004 14:44, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      > Please remember that these lists are at least USA-wide, possibly even
      > world-wide, and to give mundane city/state/country locations when you post
      > information like this.

      In general, it's best not to post anyone's modern-world contact information
      (postal address, phone number) to this list unless you have their specific
      permission; archives of this and many other lists are very public, and people
      may object to their personal information being published on the Net. It's not
      specifically against the policy of this list, just a suggestion.

      Despotes Iustinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Korhyl Walker
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
        hope this will help some
        tents
        http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/norseaframe.htm
        http://www.tentsmiths.com/period-tents-viking.html

        English to Norwegian Dictionary
        http://www.freedict.com/onldict/nor.html

        Norse Gods and Goddesses
        http://fullmoon_deities.tripod.com/norse.html

        Viking old names and other info
        http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/

        Viking Runes
        http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/vikings/runes.html

      • Korhyl Walker
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
          sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep (Waco).

          my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
            In a message dated 12/15/2004 9:22:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            Korhyl@... writes:

            <<my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time finding
            any thing that fits at all.>>

            Sounds like you may need to go to custom-made then - I don't know how many
            merchants are going to carry much to fit that size range! If you were closer,
            I'd suggest you get on my husband's work list, but it's a bit hard to do
            fittings between Texas and PA.

            Can anyone closer to the relevant area put this gentleman in touch with
            either a merchant who sells "Big and Tall" sizes or someone who'll work on
            commission?

            Lancaster, PA

          • night_travler
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 29, 2004
              Hello - I'm 6'5 in the 200 range...
              I can help you out a bit -
              My first T-tunic - was easy to make - just need a seemstrees.
              I used a version of the 1800's work shirt from the
              Thomson Magazine. -
              For my pants I had to buy 4 yards of some cotton type that
              is carried at wall mart - less than $20.

              Lancaster is an easy area to find people to help you with garb.

              Because you have a few festivals in your area and Dinner theater.
              I use to live out near you a few years ago.

              Several of the Dinner Theater people or local theater group
              are costumers. Just don't be shy - expalin to them what you are
              doing. And they will be more than happy to help you out.

              http://www.parenaissancefaire.com/

              But as a beginner, just remember you may want to start slow - don't
              need to look 100% for a while - It took me some time to realize that
              I can collect my outfit one piece at a time.
              Because I started with just a shirt and a belt at my first event.

              And don't forget - you have the Omish in Lancaster so your bound to
              find all kinds of places that will carry sewing supplies and or
              the fabric you need.

              BTW - my Persona is a Viking too..

              Petrus Runvast
              Midwinde
              Northshield.

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                In a message dated 12/30/2004 9:04:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

                <<Lancaster is an easy area to find people to help you with garb.

                Because you have a few festivals in your area and Dinner theater.
                I use to live out near you a few years ago.

                Several of the Dinner Theater people or local theater group
                are costumers. Just don't be shy - expalin to them what you are
                doing. And they will be more than happy to help you out.

                http://www.parenaissancefaire.com/>>

                If you are talking Lancaster, PA, there is also an active SCA group here
                with several very experienced costumers who are willing to either teach
                newcomers or do work on commission. In point of fact, I am the chatelaine for this
                group and will be teaching an intro to fabric class and hopefully a basic
                tunic class within the next few weeks. Contact me directly if you are in the
                area and interested.

                <<But as a beginner, just remember you may want to start slow - don't
                need to look 100% for a while - It took me some time to realize that
                I can collect my outfit one piece at a time.
                Because I started with just a shirt and a belt at my first event.>>

                Quite true - but if you want to be accurate for your first event, that's
                fine, too, and there are people who are willing to help you achieve that.

                <<And don't forget - you have the Omish in Lancaster so your bound to
                find all kinds of places that will carry sewing supplies and or
                the fabric you need. >>

                Don't count on it. The Amish use a lot of synthetics and inappropriate
                weaves for period clothing, oddly enough. It's really easy to find printed
                cotton calico or wool or synthetic knits, but not so easy to find linen or good
                weaves of wool. There is, however, a shop catering to re-enactors (Timeless
                Fabrics) which just opened in Palmyra, Lebanon County.

                Lancaster, PA

              • lakesavernake
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Korhyl Walker <Korhyl@y...> wrote:

                  > sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of
                  Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep
                  (Waco).

                  > my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time
                  finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb
                  more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)

                  Dear Korhyl,

                  I'm in Bjornsborg (San Antonio) a barony full of vikings. Some of
                  them are very large too. I would be very happy to help you with your
                  garb, and also point you to folks who know more about armour. The
                  viking answer lady lives in Byn Gwlad (Austin). Gunnoura is a weath
                  of information and is a very intertaining lady to talk to. Did you
                  know that Waco had a viking fest(non SCA) last year? There will be
                  another one this April. They are buying a full size longship from
                  Poland and will be sailing it down the river.

                  sincerely,
                  Seraphina
                  (aka Solveig to the vikings)
                • Cathy Day
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                    Now that I've received such great info about the history of the pen - thank
                    you all again - can anyone direct me to info about the people and garb of
                    12th and 13th century Finland? I think that's where I want to be from -
                    don't ask why - but pictures of clothing particularly seem to be
                    non-existent. I get a lot of pix of castles, which will be great if I ever
                    build one - lol. I'm looking for women's clothing, and any armor they may
                    have worn too. HELP - and pre-thanks.

                    Katara

                  • Anne
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
                      Yes! Waco is indeed holding VikingFest this coming year, and every
                      year for the next eight. :) So, here's the current link ...
                      http://www.vikingfest.com/

                      And, if you need help figuring out where to stay, or need specific
                      info on the Waco area, feel free to email me off-list, since I happen
                      to reside there.

                      Juliane Rose

                      On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:54:10 -0000, lakesavernake <aferrell@...> wrote:

                      > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Korhyl Walker <Korhyl@y...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > sorry about not giving all my info i a 32 male from the Kingdom of
                      > Ansteorra (texas) and i am with in the lands of Shire of Emerald Keep
                      > (Waco).
                      > >
                      > > my truble is i am 6'4'' and near 300lb so i am having a hard time
                      > finding any thing that fits at all. i am looking for North man garb
                      > more then armor right now. thank you for the info sent all ready :)
                      > >

                      > Dear Korhyl,
                      >
                      > I'm in Bjornsborg (San Antonio) a barony full of vikings. Some of
                      > them are very large too. I would be very happy to help you with your
                      > garb, and also point you to folks who know more about armour. The
                      > viking answer lady lives in Byn Gwlad (Austin). Gunnoura is a weath
                      > of information and is a very intertaining lady to talk to. Did you
                      > know that Waco had a viking fest(non SCA) last year? There will be
                      > another one this April. They are buying a full size longship from
                      > Poland and will be sailing it down the river.
                      >
                      > sincerely,
                      > Seraphina
                      > (aka Solveig to the vikings)
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      ~ Not all who wander are lost .... ~

                      Well-behaved women rarely make history.

                      "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt
                      of in your philosophy."

                      --From Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)